What's new

Brake issues

A

Anubis

Hey all,

I went on a nice hard drive however i found..... one point i had to brake quite firmly to shed alot of speed.
After that session of long long firm braking... about 150 to 30 in a pretty short disance.

I found that braking from then on say from 40 to 10... as you reach 10 or so... the brakes would make like a .... metal on metal sound... obviously they were very warm and i think that is what cause it...... like hot metal on metal sticking .... Is this brake fade?

I also found .... brake from 40 to 10... then pull off in 1st... when i engage 2nd and continue driving... it would make a sustained metal on metal sound.... kind on like if my hand brake were on a little bit and making the hot metal on metal sound again.

I dont know how to explain it better but please tell me this is just old brake pads... id think its just due to stock pads and hard driving ... but the whole... put it into 2nd and it makes that wierd noise.... just disturb me and sounds like it will be a major money fix.

Please help :)

And ask for clarification on anything confusing :)

Last edited:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Have you checked your pads if there is any left?

That's the first thing that crosses my mind when I hear the frace "metal to metal".

P

Paddy

Same thing happened to me last week, similar circumstances... 120k to quick stop :D

For how long did the noise persist after it happened the first time, did it go away on its own or is it still doing it? for myself it stopped about 15 mins later... and my brakes were quite well toasted!

I dont know if its brake fade, i think that would be loosing brake force during heavy breaking... Its probably just stock pads being heated beyond the limits they can endure and groaning about it too.

If its persistant, as above, check the pads for wear. I'm waiting to change my pads because they're very worn... persistent metal to metal squeel from the rear pads that appeared less than a week after i did that stop. :eek:

Always a good excuse to upgrade pads tho :D

A

Anubis

Yeah I checked my pads.

It not really the metal on metal of no pads left... more as Paddy said... groaing of the pads and brakes.

I just dont under stand the second gear thing.

But yeah paddy... after about 15 to 20 mins of normal driving the it pretty much goes away... then when I get out the car at home I check them and they are nicely toasted :)

J

just_laze

Hey,

I think it's just an s15-thing. When I break heavy as I come to a stop the brakes are noisy. When I met another S15 owner recently, he was concerned about the noise his brakes made when he broke hard and came to a stop, he described exactly what I experience.

laze.

d.

Reaction score
brake noise

i am experiencing the same problem, however along with the noise i find the braking capacity lacking.

how do you guys find the standard setup?

& will sticky pads make a substantial difference?

Reaction score
ive had this problem aswell? What pads are you guys all using? im running standard pads with braided hoses>

P

Paddy

I'm on a completly standard setup...

right now i'm not too impressed with the brakes, there very badly worn, especially on the back, been having one or two scarey moments lately.

:rant: to make things worse, my local motor factors gave me the wrong pads both front and rear.... i think theyre off an almera or something, maybe a 180sx! :rant:

otherwise, when the brakes are in good order i've been very happy with them.

back to the noise... been thinking about it, when metal heats up, it expands... so the pads are probably touching the disks quite hard. that would make a grinding groaning noise. might even be the cause of the 2nd gear thing that anubis had.

d., if i am on the right lines with this, then if you hear the noise, the brakes are probably too hot to be working effeciently and you would get reduced braking.

from what ive read... people who use them, swear by the uprated pads. given the grief i've had to get normal pads :( .... im very tempted :nod:

d.

Reaction score
the noise occurs when relatively cold as well.
& its more the braking distance that concerns rather than the noise.

what pads would you recommend for daily use that aren't too noisy but significantly alter stopping distances?

J

just_laze

Hey,

What I'm trying to say, at least, in regards to the noise I experience is that it's not a problem at all, it's just something the brakes do.

laze.