What's new

Geabox Conversion Help

Reaction score
Country
Hi all,

I need help in gearbox conversion, Genuine Help i mean, I been reading for the conversion for quite sometime. but still stuck in a stage of choosing between Z32 (5spd), Z33 (6spd), S14 (5spd)

I am driving a Nissan Silvia S15,daily street driving & randomly launching or drifting throughout times, I am running around 320hp, with Nismo GT L.S.D Pro TT. Currently running a S14 Gearbox. Previously blown one S13 gearbox.

1. Strong and longer lasting Gearbox

2. usually Is the gearing and syncro already repair by the seller? or is it a luck thing on the use gearbox?

3. which gearbox will you actually recommend? Z32 (5spd) or Z33 (6Spd) (i am tired of replacing gearboxes already after recent S14 gearbox up for less than 4mths. started to have sound inside already

4. During the time when i am with S13/S14 gearboxes, everytime when i release throttle and speedo starting to drop from 100km/h down, everytime it passes the 90-80km/h (2.2 - 2.4rpm) it will have a noise (either i will called it a tramping or gearing noise) then back to normal again. If i uses the Z32/33 Gearbox and uses back the S15 clutch set & dual mass flywheel. does it solve the NVH?

5. Do i need cutting of any chassis area with the above mention gearbox?

6. Using back dual-mass flywheel better or single mass flywheel (lke stock S14) is better?

7. 5spd or 6spd is better for both driveability and drifting. I actually want something responsive & fun to drive/drift.
(5 or 6 spd is actually best for drifting?)

8. is the shifting feel the same as S14 (5spd)/ S15 (6Spd) with the Z32(5spd)/Z33(6spd)

9. Thank you guys

Reaction score
Ok, the Z32 gearbox is a popular conversion here in Australia. You will need a bell housing adaptor plate which I know you can source them through a company call ALPHA OMEGA Racing here in Australia..You will have to cut the gear lever hole in the tunnel as it sits back further.. I would recommend a new Exedy clutch and flywheel, the stock clutch and dual mass are really not up to the power even though it will reduce your NVH..The gear box will sit in the tunnel you will have to get another cross member and bushes..

The Z33 is a very nice gearbox but requires a lot more bashing of the tunnel area due to its larger size..It is newer and maybe a little stronger than the Z32 but you will pay a bit more...If you can buy a new Z32 box it would be better than a second hand one but you should be able to find a good one.

The diff ratio you chose will have a bearing on the final drive ratio and wether you want sharp acceleration or top end speed

drifter

Reaction score
Country
Both plenty strong enough, but both have potential synchro problems on early boxes. If you're managing to break boxes on only 320bhp that doesn't bode well for any box tbh.

2. usually Is the gearing and syncro already repair by the seller? or is it a luck thing on the use gearbox?

Pot luck with second hand, only way to be sure is to buy new. I bought my Z32 from Coz Performance in the US.

3. which gearbox will you actually recommend? Z32 (5spd) or Z33 (6Spd) (i am tired of replacing gearboxes already after recent S14 gearbox up for less than 4mths. started to have sound inside already
Can't say, Z32 has always done me well, but I have still had to repair synchros (changing into 5th at 8k revs puts a bit of strain on them). Z33 boxes seem a lot more expensive, never driven one though.

4. During the time when i am with S13/S14 gearboxes, everytime when i release throttle and speedo starting to drop from 100km/h down, everytime it passes the 90-80km/h (2.2 - 2.4rpm) it will have a noise (either i will called it a tramping or gearing noise) then back to normal again. If i uses the Z32/33 Gearbox and uses back the S15 clutch set & dual mass flywheel. does it solve the NVH?

Pretty sure you can't use the dual mass with the Z32, so if the noise is NVH it'll still be there. you tend to get more noise with the conversions anyway as you'll be using stiffer/solid mounts.

Just need to massage the tunnel back for the Z32 and cut a small bit out of the tunnel for the shifter.

6. Using back dual-mass flywheel better or single mass flywheel (lke stock S14) is better?
As above, Z32 can't use dual mass afaik, Z33 might be okay.

7. 5spd or 6spd is better for both driveability and drifting. I actually want something responsive & fun to drive/drift.
Never missed the 6th gear in mine, goes well on track. I dropped the diff to a 4.1 ratio which helps as the 5th in the Z32 is very long, too long with a 3.6 diff.

8. is the shifting feel the same as S14 (5spd)/ S15 (6Spd) with the Z32(5spd)/Z33(6spd)
Some of the aftermarket shifters are **** and rattle a lot. I used a genuine Nissan shifter on my Z32 which is much better.

9. Thank you guys

No problem :)

Reaction score
Country
Ok, the Z32 gearbox is a popular conversion here in Australia. You will need a bell housing adaptor plate which I know you can source them through a company call ALPHA OMEGA Racing here in Australia..You will have to cut the gear lever hole in the tunnel as it sits back further.. I would recommend a new Exedy clutch and flywheel, the stock clutch and dual mass are really not up to the power even though it will reduce your NVH..The gear box will sit in the tunnel you will have to get another cross member and bushes..

The Z33 is a very nice gearbox but requires a lot more bashing of the tunnel area due to its larger size..It is newer and maybe a little stronger than the Z32 but you will pay a bit more...If you can buy a new Z32 box it would be better than a second hand one but you should be able to find a good one.

The diff ratio you chose will have a bearing on the final drive ratio and wether you want sharp acceleration or top end speed

HI Auss15

I tot i saw the alpha omega site said that no need to cut anything for the shifter?

My diff is 4.11 if i rem correctly. the Z33 is big enough to actually go lower than the chassis rail right? If it is then i wont be able to get it, as my country have alot of weird hump. sometime i already scratching my cat below. LOL

just a question, which would you prefer to drive with Z32 / Z33 for daily drive and occasional drifting/launching/spinning off? LOL

Reaction score
Country
Both plenty strong enough, but both have potential synchro problems on early boxes. If you're managing to break boxes on only 320bhp that doesn't bode well for any box tbh.
(I believe my recent boxes is already not in condition when i bought it, the first one gave me a couple of years till its gone)

Pot luck with second hand, only way to be sure is to buy new. I bought my Z32 from Coz Performance in the US.

Can't say, Z32 has always done me well, but I have still had to repair synchros (changing into 5th at 8k revs puts a bit of strain on them). Z33 boxes seem a lot more expensive, never driven one though.
(Z33 also have synchro prob?)

Pretty sure you can't use the dual mass with the Z32, so if the noise is NVH it'll still be there. you tend to get more noise with the conversions anyway as you'll be using stiffer/solid mounts.
(Roger that)

Just need to massage the tunnel back for the Z32 and cut a small bit out of the tunnel for the shifter.

As above, Z32 can't use dual mass afaik, Z33 might be okay.

Never missed the 6th gear in mine, goes well on track. I dropped the diff to a 4.1 ratio which helps as the 5th in the Z32 is very long, too long with a 3.6 diff.

(just a question, which would you prefer to drive with Z32 / Z33 for daily drive and occasional drifting/launching/spinning off? LOL)
Z33 with FD 4.11 or Z32 with FD 4.11 is actually better and fun to drive with?

Some of the aftermarket shifters are **** and rattle a lot. I used a genuine Nissan shifter on my Z32 which is much better.

9. Thank you guys

No problem :)

drifter

Reaction score
Country
Yeah, early Z33 have the same issue. For Z32 ideally you want a 1998+ box, Z33 you need a CD09. Bare in mind though if you buy an early Z32 and the 3rd gear synchro fails you'll have to buy the complete gear which was around £500 in parts when I last looked.

As for comparing between the 2, I can't say as I've only ever used the Z32 :)

Have a look here, this is my thread when I first fitted the Z32 back in 2006, albeit onto my S14a at the time, but it's the same for the S15. Only thing that's easier on the S15 is the speed sensor, as it comes from the diff you don't need to convert the signal.

Here we go, Z32 gearbox

Reaction score
The Z33 is a nice box to use, I drove one and I liked the short shifts but you will probably find you will hardly use the 6th gear because it is so tall..

Reaction score
Country
Yeah, early Z33 have the same issue. For Z32 ideally you want a 1998+ box, Z33 you need a CD09. Bare in mind though if you buy an early Z32 and the 3rd gear synchro fails you'll have to buy the complete gear which was around £500 in parts when I last looked.

As for comparing between the 2, I can't say as I've only ever used the Z32 :)

Have a look here, this is my thread when I first fitted the Z32 back in 2006, albeit onto my S14a at the time, but it's the same for the S15. Only thing that's easier on the S15 is the speed sensor, as it comes from the diff you don't need to convert the signal.

Here we go, Z32 gearbox
Noted with that but is there any exterior differences or no. that diff the 1998+ away from older version?

How is the feel for the Z32? Fun to drive? Torquey?

Reaction score
Is it more torquey than the Z32?
If you mean stronger, I'm not sure...it is a newer style box and it is in a car with more power than the Z32 but like any stock gearbox they are built to run in a stock power plant...when you start modifying cars with more power you will compromise any stock gear box..

Serious powered cars are better to use some form of racing gear box, like Hollinger...

drifter

Reaction score
Country
Noted with that but is there any exterior differences or no. that diff the 1998+ away from older version?

How is the feel for the Z32? Fun to drive? Torquey?
All the boxes look the same, not sure if there's any ID text on them anywhere? Never looked :)

Not sure what you mean by Torquey tbh, it drives well, but it does have 500bhp/400ftlb pushing it along.

Strength wise I've never heard of anyone breaking a Z32 or Z33 box, they always seems to fail with synchros which isn't really power/torque related. More to do with changing gear at higher rpms.

Reaction score
Country
If you mean stronger, I'm not sure...it is a newer style box and it is in a car with more power than the Z32 but like any stock gearbox they are built to run in a stock power plant...when you start modifying cars with more power you will compromise any stock gear box..

Serious powered cars are better to use some form of racing gear box, like Hollinger...

ya but i believe the z32 and z33 sure able to cope with my 320hp haha. what i meant was the drive torque higher compare to stock s14/s15 trans. or is there no diff?

Reaction score
Country
All the boxes look the same, not sure if there's any ID text on them anywhere? Never looked :)

Not sure what you mean by Torquey tbh, it drives well, but it does have 500bhp/400ftlb pushing it along.

Strength wise I've never heard of anyone breaking a Z32 or Z33 box, they always seems to fail with synchros which isn't really power/torque related. More to do with changing gear at higher rpms.
i meant torque. as in more torque compare to normal sr trans. haha i dont know how should i spell the word.

Reaction score
Country
Guys, what about the sound/vibration between the 2 for the conversion?

Auss15 u have driven the with Z33 right? it is noisy compare to the Z32?

Drifter how about your z32?

btw is a alloy 1pc shaft strong enough?
and also if i am S15 with the speed sensor in diff. do i need to get the speedo done up when z33 have no speedo?
what the length of the z33 vs z32 vs s14 vs s15 gearbox?

i am very sorry with all the question. but i need to clear it before getting which gearbox.

Reaction score
The Z33 box is smooth and quite..but remember that's in a stock Z33 with low NVH..1 piece alloy driveshaft will be the go as you will have to have one made up anyway...

S15 gearbox Vs Z33 gearbox

drifter

Reaction score
Country
Drifter how about your z32? Yeah, it's noisey, but it has stiffer mounts. Worst thing you can do is use a short shifter like this...

90-96 300ZX Z32 RACING STYLE STRONG SHORT THROW SHIFTER QUICK HEAVY STEEL | eBay

They rattle like a bitch! Use the standard Nissan assembly which you'll see at the end of my SXOC thread.

btw is a alloy 1pc shaft strong enough? I wouldn't use a 1 piece, just mod the front half or get a new one made. 2 guys on the SXOC had 1 piece Mazworx props, 1 ally and 1 steel. The steel shook the car to pieces at 70mph and the ally caused vibrations. Both had new fronts made the same as mine. It's in that thread on the SXOC.

and also if i am S15 with the speed sensor in diff. do i need to get the speedo done up when z33 have no speedo? Your speedo will work fine, no need to change anything on that.

what the length of the z33 vs z32 vs s14 vs s15 gearbox? Z32/33 are comparable. The actual gearboxes are slightly shorter then the S14/S15 which means you'll need a longer prop. However the shifter hangs off the back which means you have to cut the trans tunnel. If you have a shorter shifter bracket you can just about use the hole on the trans tunnel without cutting.

One thing I will say is when using the Z32, you need to have a 4.1 final drive in the diff at least. If you keep the 3.7 it will feel lethargic as the SR20 just doesn't have the low grunt of the VG30 or VQ35.

Reaction score
Country
Drifter how about your z32? Yeah, it's noisey, but it has stiffer mounts. Worst thing you can do is use a short shifter like this...

90-96 300ZX Z32 RACING STYLE STRONG SHORT THROW SHIFTER QUICK HEAVY STEEL | eBay

They rattle like a bitch! Use the standard Nissan assembly which you'll see at the end of my SXOC thread.

btw is a alloy 1pc shaft strong enough? I wouldn't use a 1 piece, just mod the front half or get a new one made. 2 guys on the SXOC had 1 piece Mazworx props, 1 ally and 1 steel. The steel shook the car to pieces at 70mph and the ally caused vibrations. Both had new fronts made the same as mine. It's in that thread on the SXOC.

and also if i am S15 with the speed sensor in diff. do i need to get the speedo done up when z33 have no speedo? Your speedo will work fine, no need to change anything on that.

what the length of the z33 vs z32 vs s14 vs s15 gearbox? Z32/33 are comparable. The actual gearboxes are slightly shorter then the S14/S15 which means you'll need a longer prop. However the shifter hangs off the back which means you have to cut the trans tunnel. If you have a shorter shifter bracket you can just about use the hole on the trans tunnel without cutting.

One thing I will say is when using the Z32, you need to have a 4.1 final drive in the diff at least. If you keep the 3.7 it will feel lethargic as the SR20 just doesn't have the low grunt of the VG30 or VQ35.
Thanks for the feedback. But the noise level is it bearable or u can hear it but hardly noticeable. as mine is a daily driven car.

Reaction score
Country
The Z33 box is smooth and quite..but remember that's in a stock Z33 with low NVH..1 piece alloy driveshaft will be the go as you will have to have one made up anyway...

S15 gearbox Vs Z33 gearbox

Thanks Auss for the pic. U are driving a S15 with Z33?

drifter

Reaction score
Country
Thanks for the feedback. But the noise level is it bearable or u can hear it but hardly noticeable. as mine is a daily driven car.
I put up with it for 5 years as a daily driver. It never bothered me, but then I don't care if the care is rattling etc :) Absolutely not bearable with a shifter like the one I linked to.