Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawnhalu View Post
    Noted with that but is there any exterior differences or no. that diff the 1998+ away from older version?

How is the feel for the Z32? Fun to drive? Torquey?
    All the boxes look the same, not sure if there's any ID text on them anywhere? Never looked

Not sure what you mean by Torquey tbh, it drives well, but it does have 500bhp/400ftlb pushing it along.

Strength wise I've never heard of anyone breaking a Z32 or Z33 box, they always seems to fail with synchros which isn't really power/torque related. More to do with changing gear at higher rpms.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Auss15 View Post
    If you mean stronger, I'm not sure...it is a newer style box and it is in a car with more power than the Z32 but like any stock gearbox they are built to run in a stock power plant...when you start modifying cars with more power you will compromise any stock gear box..

Serious powered cars are better to use some form of racing gear box, like Hollinger...

ya but i believe the z32 and z33 sure able to cope with my 320hp haha. what i meant was the drive torque higher compare to stock s14/s15 trans. or is there no diff?

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter View Post
    All the boxes look the same, not sure if there's any ID text on them anywhere? Never looked

Not sure what you mean by Torquey tbh, it drives well, but it does have 500bhp/400ftlb pushing it along.

Strength wise I've never heard of anyone breaking a Z32 or Z33 box, they always seems to fail with synchros which isn't really power/torque related. More to do with changing gear at higher rpms.
    i meant torque. as in more torque compare to normal sr trans. haha i dont know how should i spell the word.

Liked
    Guys, what about the sound/vibration between the 2 for the conversion?

Auss15 u have driven the with Z33 right? it is noisy compare to the Z32?

Drifter how about your z32?

btw is a alloy 1pc shaft strong enough?
    and also if i am S15 with the speed sensor in diff. do i need to get the speedo done up when z33 have no speedo?
    what the length of the z33 vs z32 vs s14 vs s15 gearbox?

i am very sorry with all the question. but i need to clear it before getting which gearbox.

Liked
    The Z33 box is smooth and quite..but remember that's in a stock Z33 with low NVH..1 piece alloy driveshaft will be the go as you will have to have one made up anyway...

S15 gearbox Vs Z33 gearbox

Liked
    Drifter how about your z32? Yeah, it's noisey, but it has stiffer mounts. Worst thing you can do is use a short shifter like this...

90-96 300ZX Z32 RACING STYLE STRONG SHORT THROW SHIFTER QUICK HEAVY STEEL | eBay

They rattle like a bitch! Use the standard Nissan assembly which you'll see at the end of my SXOC thread.

btw is a alloy 1pc shaft strong enough? I wouldn't use a 1 piece, just mod the front half or get a new one made. 2 guys on the SXOC had 1 piece Mazworx props, 1 ally and 1 steel. The steel shook the car to pieces at 70mph and the ally caused vibrations. Both had new fronts made the same as mine. It's in that thread on the SXOC.

and also if i am S15 with the speed sensor in diff. do i need to get the speedo done up when z33 have no speedo? Your speedo will work fine, no need to change anything on that.

what the length of the z33 vs z32 vs s14 vs s15 gearbox? Z32/33 are comparable. The actual gearboxes are slightly shorter then the S14/S15 which means you'll need a longer prop. However the shifter hangs off the back which means you have to cut the trans tunnel. If you have a shorter shifter bracket you can just about use the hole on the trans tunnel without cutting.

One thing I will say is when using the Z32, you need to have a 4.1 final drive in the diff at least. If you keep the 3.7 it will feel lethargic as the SR20 just doesn't have the low grunt of the VG30 or VQ35.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter View Post
    Drifter how about your z32? Yeah, it's noisey, but it has stiffer mounts. Worst thing you can do is use a short shifter like this...

90-96 300ZX Z32 RACING STYLE STRONG SHORT THROW SHIFTER QUICK HEAVY STEEL | eBay

They rattle like a bitch! Use the standard Nissan assembly which you'll see at the end of my SXOC thread.

btw is a alloy 1pc shaft strong enough? I wouldn't use a 1 piece, just mod the front half or get a new one made. 2 guys on the SXOC had 1 piece Mazworx props, 1 ally and 1 steel. The steel shook the car to pieces at 70mph and the ally caused vibrations. Both had new fronts made the same as mine. It's in that thread on the SXOC.

and also if i am S15 with the speed sensor in diff. do i need to get the speedo done up when z33 have no speedo? Your speedo will work fine, no need to change anything on that.

what the length of the z33 vs z32 vs s14 vs s15 gearbox? Z32/33 are comparable. The actual gearboxes are slightly shorter then the S14/S15 which means you'll need a longer prop. However the shifter hangs off the back which means you have to cut the trans tunnel. If you have a shorter shifter bracket you can just about use the hole on the trans tunnel without cutting.

One thing I will say is when using the Z32, you need to have a 4.1 final drive in the diff at least. If you keep the 3.7 it will feel lethargic as the SR20 just doesn't have the low grunt of the VG30 or VQ35.
    Thanks for the feedback. But the noise level is it bearable or u can hear it but hardly noticeable. as mine is a daily driven car.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Auss15 View Post
    The Z33 box is smooth and quite..but remember that's in a stock Z33 with low NVH..1 piece alloy driveshaft will be the go as you will have to have one made up anyway...

S15 gearbox Vs Z33 gearbox

Thanks Auss for the pic. U are driving a S15 with Z33?

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawnhalu View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. But the noise level is it bearable or u can hear it but hardly noticeable. as mine is a daily driven car.
    I put up with it for 5 years as a daily driver. It never bothered me, but then I don't care if the care is rattling etc Absolutely not bearable with a shifter like the one I linked to.

Liked
    I'm driving an S15 with the Nismo Cross Mission 6 speed rated to 420HP