What's new

A few small issues I need to sort out!

Reaction score
Country
Hi I bought a s15 in may haven't really driven it yet but have found a few issues I'm struggling with.

1. I have a knock from what I think is the front drivers side. When I brake and come to a dead stop it knocks. I had that side up in the air gave it a wiggle from the sides and there seemed to be play in the rod itself but I went to change the rod today and the ball part moves very freely (unlike the replacement I'd bought) but doesn't seem to have a knock to it.
The steering rack itself seemed to have play in it but I don't know if this is normal?

2. Gearbox whines when the clutch isn't depressed, is this the release bearing? Will this be ok to leave or should I have a gearbox garage have a look?

3. The rear diff whines abit, I have an lsd in my fwd car but it isn't noisy at all. Should I change the fluid or is it quite normal?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
A fluid change will probably solve your issue in regards to the whine, if it doesn't then the bearings will be worn however it is unlikely to reach that stage.

Sounds like the clutch bearing as you mentioned, as its only rotating when the clutch isn't depressed. Does it make any difference being in and out of gear?

The knock could be many things, hard to say without seeing the car. If you've got play in the track rod ends or inner tie rods, they should be done anyway.

Reaction score
Country
OK I'll change the fluid soon. Do people use Limited Slip oil or just normal gearbox oil. Could it be linked to the car being sat for a long time?

I don't know tbh I've only ever checked whilst being in neutral.

I'll have a good check of the track rods next weekend see if I can work out what's going on.