What's new

Noise in the drive train

P

Paddy

Hi all,
Was out driving yesterday and notice a noise coming from one of the wheels or at lease near one the wheels. only actually notice because i turned the radio off!

Its kind of a metal to metal sound. kinda intermittent, lasts from about 10 to 60 seconds, then goes quiet for a random amount of time, them starts again!

Almost definately in the drive of the car, doesnt appear when stationary, and seems to be from the drivers side.

Was just wondering if this had happened to any one else or what could it be, Bearings, Diff, etc. i'm hoping its just pads on the way out!!

It'll be up on a lift on tuesday for an oil change, what do you guys think i should be looking out for???

Car is a completely standard 2000 SpecR
Cheers
Paddy

Reaction score
first thing on my mind would be the pads too? put your mind at rest and check them. Youd notice if it was a wheelbearing, its a very unique sound!

P

Paddy

Cheers, Thats what i'll have to do. have you tried getting pads in ireland yet, would a motor factors have them handy??

P

Paddy

Thanks for that guys...:D
I had nightmares last night of my wheels falling off!! Hehehe
Maybe i should go easier on the brakes:rolleyes:

Reaction score
nope i had to buy a whole new set of endless brakes :mad: lol not really tho. Theyre easy enough to get mate any motor factors can order them if you need them

J

just_laze

Hey,

I have the exact same noise, at least how you've described it.

Similar to open an old metal gate, like a groaning - hard to describe accurately.

It rarely happens but if I drive full-lock in a circle I can usually provoke it to occur. I don't drive my car often, but next time it happens, I'm going to hit the brakes, if the noise stops then it's obviously the brakes, heh.

Keep me updated, I'd be interested to hear what you find, if anything.

laze.

P

Paddy

hey laze,

i found that the noise was coming from my rear brake pads, found out by pulling the hand brake while driving in a straight line, the noise changed and sometimes went away. may want to try the same.

do you have to be moving in a circle to get the noise or just have full lock on while sitting still? if you get the same noise sitting still i think what you may be hearing is the power steering pressure release valve thingy. its a trait of hydraulic power steering to make a hiss sound when the steering wheel is turned fully.

it could just as easily be dust on the pads or wear, check them for your own peace of mind :thumbs:

may want to check this post too: http://forum.s15oc.com/showthread.php?t=1610

Last edited: