What's new

annoying s15 6 speed problems

D

dns15

posting on behalf of a friend
its a spec r 6 speed
during shifting from 1st to 2nd gear at 2k to 3k rpm, the clutch was down, the gear still crunches as if the clutch didnt release.
above 3k rpm it seemed to be gone away
changed new gbox oil, new synchro cone, problem still exist infact its worsen after changing the synchro cone
its been a pain for a long time and still not yet resolved
help.

Reaction score
Country
Sometimes when i shift from 1st to 2nd, it crunches abit. I think it's due to me hammering 2nd too fast. When I shift slower, it doesnt do it. Does it do it when u shift slow?

Reaction score
mine feels "notchy"... but never crunches... if i delay things or when i'm really going for it, it doesn't do it.... only when shifting at "normal" speed whilst takin' things sensible...

nicely says about filling the box with extra oil from the top makes things smoother... so i'm gonna try this next! :)

Reaction score
i've nothing to worry about then... feared the worst and could be syncro's... but figured, i'd just live with it... and if it breaks worry about it! LOL

V

Vandal

I'd try changing the gearbox oil to something like Castrol Syntrans or Motul Gear 300 to see if this smoothes out the changes.

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
is the 6speed a bit rubbish in the s15, its just ive seen a few about with the s14 box fitted. whats the advantages of changing over is it stronger have longer ratios. etc.

Reaction score
Country
Actually the gears are as strong as 5speed box. The only weakness is the 3rd to 4th gear circlip. Nothing else is a problem. I think it's a matter of luck, some uses the 6spd to drift and drag all day everyday and had no problem.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I read if you give it some stick, i.e. drifting, changes gears quickly etc, that increases the chance of the circlip jumping out.

There is, according to nicely, a relativly easy fix, if you fix it prior to any problems.

S

S15R

its notchy not so much crunchy, it happened to all my 3 s15s but once its warmed up its fine :D

FYI if it crunches then a good bye gearbox :D time to rebuilt

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I got that with my box to in the beginning when the oil wasn't warmed up. Not when i was driving though. Only when the guy who was going to get it road-legal drove it :confused:.

changed gearbox oil and never had the problem again.