What's new

Cam Cover Breathers

Reaction score
Country
I have a spare cam cover that i want to get powder coated and have the pipes fitted with AN connectors. Does anyone know how you remove the existing connector bits on the cam cover from the breathers.

the two brass bits or whatever they're made of

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@langers2511
Masked them off, saves removing them, I've just done mine with spray paint.

Last edited:

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
They need to be forced out, drill a hole side to side of the fitting, put something across and use it to lever them out (and turn them around at the same time)

If you're struggling to do it that way, you can drill them out by using a drill bit very close in size to the OD of the adapter (tiny bit smaller if possible), paying much attention to drilling as straight as possible and try to avoid any contact with the cam cover body

When the strength of the adapter is compromised that way, it will be easy to twist and pull it out

I would suggest thread based connectors, It should be easy to tap a thread into the cam cover and it will be very secure

Joe

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
ooO nice! K20/F20 engines build up a lot of heat so if he has managed to use it without any issues then it must be perfect for the SR20

Did you need to do the normal prep, i.e. etch primer?

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@langers2511
ooO nice! K20/F20 engines build up a lot of heat so if he has managed to use it without any issues then it must be perfect for the SR20

Did you need to do the normal prep, i.e. etch primer?
No primer required, nitromors the old stuff off and spray.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I did a few of these over the years. I used to sand blast them back to bare metal and give them several layers of heat resistant paint. My favourite was the last one I did where I machined the letters off the top so it was blank and finished it off in red wrinkle finish paint. It was quite time consuming to do all this, however, but worth it I think.

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
I did a few of these over the years. I used to sand blast them back to bare metal and give them several layers of heat resistant paint. My favourite was the last one I did where I machined the letters off the top so it was blank and finished it off in red wrinkle finish paint. It was quite time consuming to do all this, however, but worth it I think.

You done a great job on that one, I'm getting excited to give this a go but I'm pretty sure I'll end up with a disaster :redface: