What's new

spark plug broke and ceramic piece fell in my engine

Reaction score
Country
So,
While doing a comp test the spark plug broke and a piece chipped off. the piece was about a 1/4 of a thumb nail i guess. Probably the spark plug chipped when we were putting the socket over it or something. We had to take the spark plug out because the rubber bit off the socket stuck to it. I'm guessing that's when the chipped bit fell in. I didn't notice at the time unfortunately. After turning the car on it misfired a tiny bit every so often (we fixed that with new spark plugs and cleaning out the area) but there is a small 'tink' sound like hitting a spoon on a glass. The sound is maybe once every 10 seconds on idle, but when you rev it a bit it seems to be there more often. I'm suspecting that it might be a bit of ceramic in the exhaust manifold...
The car idles and revs well (haven't taken it over 2.5k rpm), but that tink noise is still there. I don't think its coming from in the cylinder area because the walls are too thick...

If the ceramic goes into the exhaust side of the turbo will the turbo die or the ceramic shatter to bits and go through exhaust??
Either way it's a crappy situation. I don't really feel like taking my motor apart!:cry:

What do you guys think? anyone had anything similar?

Reaction score
I would say that that piece of ceramic would have disintegrated to almost powder in the cylinder head...by the time if it got to the exhaust impeller it would be very small...That ceramic is very soft compared to metals so I would just monitor it before worrying about taking the head off ...

Reaction score
Country
I ordered an endoscope so when that arrives next week I'm going to take a look down the cylinder. If i cant find anything there that'd mean it's in the exhaust manifold somewhere, so maybe taking off the manifold and turbo will do. I was thinking the tink noise could be the ceramic hitting the impeller and bouncing away from it, so it'd be stuck in the waste gate area.