What's new

Loud Whistle and Grinding Noises, Replacement Turbo?

Reaction score
Country
Hi all!

I was driving home the other day and the car suddenly felt sluggish, then I couldn't get any boost at all and could hear an horrendous loud whistling noise anytime I go near the accelerator.
The car sounds like its literally screaming at it.

Anyway, I knocked it off and then for a good few seconds near where the turbo is I can hear a rotating grinding noise and a terrible smell..

Now, I'm hoping this is something stupid but deep down I'm convinced my turbo's gone and shat itself.

My question is, what do you think this is?

If you agree with my conclusion...where can I get a replacement!? Its a stock turbo and I'm not really wanting to shell out at the moment having a tune etc for upgrading it. I'm currently in the middle of starting up my business and just don't have the spare funds at the moment.

I just want a stock turbo or an aftermarket stock equivalent, that can be bolted on with no problems and without having to donate organs to fund. (I do not trust ebay parts)

I'd appreciate your help guys :) I've tried having a look but can only find a spanky new T28 from America.

Reaction score
Country
My 5 cents worth - instead of asking an internet forum where you will get a multitude of answers, get your car to a decent workshop and ask a mechanic who knows his stuff, for the correct answer. If you need a new turbo then you are going to have to buy one, it's how it is. Owning and maintaining an S15 is never going to be cheap.

Reaction score
Country
That's where it's going Monday.
I'm also aware of the costs of running and maintaining my car. But I don't fancy paying over the odd for something to be imported when I can purchase it cheaper in the UK.

My goal here is to get other owners opinions and see if they know where I can get a replacement

Overall the S15 is fairly inexpensive to run and maintain. I just don't want to pay over the odds and don't have a good knowledge of after market turbos.

Last edited:

Cess

Staff member
Instagram Staff
Reaction score
Country
The GT2560R is closest like for like replacement for the standard turbo. Its rated about 310bhp to maybe 330bhp.

However it's only about £150 cheaper than a turbo with more tuning potential.

Reaction score
As above the 2560R is the closest to a stock S15 bearing turbo, in fact it is slightly better as it will give you about 10 to 15Kw more power than a stock T28

Reaction score
Country
Would the 2560R be a bolt on replacement or do you think this might need a tune with it as well.

I wouldnt mind getting a bigger turbo again but then its all the other bits I need to tune it etc and I just want the car back on the road haha.

Reaction score
Yes, as above straight bolt on..if you are still running stock boost you wont need a tune but if you want to raise the boost and dial in your AFR's than yes a tune would be beneficial

Reaction score
Country
Brilliant, Thanks for your help guys.

I've had a look at it, its definitely my turbo, I need to try and find the best place to get a 2560R then!
If anyone has a good secondhand one let me know.

Reaction score
Country
Think I've found one!, Picked up a few other bits when I'm at it.

Thanks for your help guys, Wasn't sure what alternatives I had to the standard model.

Reaction score
Country
Thanks for your help guess.

Turns out my turbo was done for, infact it looks as if the manifold might have been to blame as the thin metal creating the twin exit from the Tomei Extreme Manifold looks as if its come away and fallen into the turbine. If that's actually what caused it I'm not sure.

Changed manifold at the same time and the turbo has been fitted. Drives like a dream. :)