What's new

Z32 AFM advantage on stock injectors?

Reaction score
Country
He guy's,

I've got a pretty stock spec-R and am going for a tune next month, got the following basic upgrades:
3" turbo-back
FMIC
Boostcontroller
Fuel pump, plugs, splitfire coils, RAS, BOV, etc.
Stock (480cc) injectors

Now the big question;
Will a Z32 AFM do anything for this setup??
I was thinking stock injectors and AFM run out at the same hp figures..
(Got the Z32 afm laying around)

Reaction score
Country
i have the same setup as you and also got a Z32 laying around because i haven't had my car mapped yet :( I believe that it doesn't make any difference to the tune however i think you need it for later on if you plan on chasing bigger numbers (300+) but not 100% sure why. Also don't fit the Z32 until they start mapping as the car wont run with it plugged in as its a different signal to the OEM one.

Reaction score
Country
The standard afm can only read so much air going in.

Once you run more power, as you said around the 300 mark, you need more air and you can Max out the voltage output on the afm. That way you won't get the right air-fuel mixture.

That's where the z32 comes in, it can pick up a higher range of airflow so once you've mapped your car with it, and the accompanying mods, you can make more power.

Fitting it by itself won't do anything.

Reaction score
The Z32 will with those mods give you more power through tuning. The Z32 has a better tuning resolution than the stock AFM. It will also give you the opportunity to use bigger injectors and turbo in the future..The stock unit is restrictive and tuner limited..

Reaction score
Country
Will just make mapping more expensive I'd imagine.

you can run in the 300's with the stock afm

Reaction score
Country
@Auss15; Better resolution you say?? I would guess as the s15 afm uses 1.5 - 5 volt and the z32 will use 2 - 4 volt (@1.2 bar)), the s15 should have a better resolution at 300hp?

I got Nistune so can change the AFM on my own, but SR guru FC-Steve will be in town next month so he can make the timing table

I know that it's for a little headroom in the future, but that's not my question ;)

If the stock injectors run out at the same time and it's not restricting the airflow there is no advantage installing it... but if the resolution is better then i will install it (just need to make some sort of adapter for the filter)

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
pointless,

Stock injectors will be on full duty with a Z32. If you are going to buy a z32 buy 550/740cc injectors too.

Reaction score
That is correct, I ran 550's when I installed my Z32 moving to 740's when I put in the 2871R...FreakensNL, the Z32 resolution makes its tuning accuracy for AFR's more precise than the stock AFM..

Reaction score
Country
Though so, I'm already on full duty cycle @ 1.2 bar and am getting 11.5-12.0 A/F's so that's fine

1.2 bar is enough for me and if the 480cc and stock afm are up for it and not holding back power I'm going to sell the z32 afm

Thanks guys! :thumbs: