What's new

Oils and fluids

Reaction score
Country
I plan on doing a flush of my fluids on my jdm spec R s15, just wondering what people are running so i get an idea of whats good to use for my car. I'm doing a bit of research on whats best. For gearbox some people think syntrans or motul gear300 75w-90.

engine: Penrite 10w40
gearbox: ?
Diff: ?
Coolant: ?
Clutch/Brake: ATE dot4
Power steering: ?

The above list is what i have so far.

Reaction score
Country
I'd use RBF 6-660 for brake n clutch fluid as it's good for trackdays and hard driving.
I don't know about the rest as I haven't researched it yet I'm just here for the comments.

Reaction score
Yes, I use the Motul RBF 660, as you are in Auss I would also look at the Nulon 5w 40w..very good oil ( I use it in mine)
Motul 75w 90w is good for the diff...Look at Redline Shock Proof for gearbox ( Smurf Blood)

Reaction score
Country
I did some reading but people seem to think redline is inferior to nulon or castrol syntrans for gearbox/diff (at least for daily). i was thinking of going syntrans 75w-90, apparently thats good too.
My car is a daily but that's not to say it doesn't get a good run haha.

just for reference, in AUS the temp ranges roughly from -5 to 40 degrees C throughout the year.

Reaction score
Country
maintenance.jpg

Here is what the manual says, i use Motul RBF 600 brake fluid, fuchs titan race pro s 5w-40 engine oil(it's cold here in norway), fuchs titan race syn 5 75-90 in my diff and redline shockproof in my gearbox. Only had the car for 8000km tho, just about to do my 2nd oil change. Use the car mostly for trackdays and weekends. Heard the same about the smurf blood but decided to give it a go, it also has alot of very good reviews.

Reaction score
Country
Yea i'll have a look around and see whats good i guess haha. should be ok anyway as long as i have the right viscosity etc.

Reaction score
Country
yea true, i think more so than a NA car, because the turbo uses the oil too. This is my 1st turbo car.

Reaction score
Country
engine: Motul Chrono 300V 10W40
gearbox: Motul gear300 75w-90
Diff: Respo LeMans RS LSD 80W-120. I previously used Cusco LSD oil, but my 2-way nismo diff chattered like hell in low speed corners. After switching to respo, it doesn't chatter anymore and still locks just fine on the track.
Coolant: Prestone 50/50
Clutch/Brake: Can't remember, something DOT4
Power steering: Hien ATF

For engine oil, I have tried Redline, Mobil 1, AAA, and Speedmaster before, and my engine seems to run better with the Motul.

Last edited:

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
I used redline 5w40 in winter, then 10w40 in summer changing every 5-6k. Redline lightweight shockproof gearbox oil, changing every 20k. I had a nismo 2 way in it for most of the time but honestly any differential oil will do for the standard diff, change it every 20k.
Brake/clutch fluid any flluid that's a dot 4 fluid. And change every year, maybe 2!

I did 50,000km's over the 5 years I had it and had no issues even when tracking it etc!

Reaction score
Country
I think I'll give Motul gear 300 or Castrol syntrans a go for gearbox/diff. See what the people in the shop have to say as well.