What's new

Possible? Topmount HKS GTRS?

Reaction score
Country
As it says in the title is it possible to topmount a HKS GTRS in a 15 Bay, understanding there will have to be custom intercooler pipping and down pipe but the Japspeed topmount mani is pretty cheap. Just had the current stainless one welded and is now blowing so I'm thinking of replacing the complete kit.

If you've seen it before let me know be great too have some ideas I've searched and not seen anything.

Reaction score
Yes you can. If you've already repaired your current manifold because it cracked, I wouldn't be replacing it with a Japspeed part :wack:. It's been some time since I had an S15 but they're products were absolute **** 6-7 years ago!

Also, you'll require new oil and water lines, intake pipe, the turbo will require it's casings repositioning and possibly a new actuator bracket making up. In all honesty it's pointless with a GT28 sized turbo though ike the RS as you'll go to all the extra cost for nothing. I ran a Full Race topmount setup but only because you physically couldn't fit the turbo I was using on bottom mount manifold.

Last edited:

drifter

Reaction score
Country
Have a search in Sxoc for a build by a user called Colwell. He top mounted a gtrs with impressive results. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll have a look.

On japspeed, my mate just bought a manifold from them for his r34 gtt . It was the "race" version and to be honest the quality is pretty good. I wouldn't touch the cheap ones though.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Have heard the new japspeed race/thicker mani are pretty good ! Seen one on the flesh and looks decent quality tbh

Reaction score
Country
Cheers for the replys, gonna keep what I've got and just replace the manifold to turbo gasket (that's where it's blowing). My thoughts are that you can do this in situ via undoing the 4 bolts and jacking up the engine and dropping the turbo slightly and then clean the mounting surfaces and throw the new gasket on. Wondered if anybody had tried doing it in situ as all I can see is removing the complete set up.

Reaction score
I had been tole before it's possible but I never managed it as I couldn't get any leverage on the two turbo to manifold nuts closest to the head in situ, I always took the manifold off and made sure the mating faces were flat. I only ever had it happen once, when I bought the car, I machined both faces flat and never had a gasket problem again. It shouldn't take long to to take the lot off, 45 minutes or so.