What's new

Random Boost Creep?

Reaction score
Country
Hi Guys,

I've been trying to do some research but I'm getting confused.

Basically today I've taken the car out for an hour today just to charge the battery, I've given a bit of beans and noticed the warning light on my Defi Boost gauge flash, The warning is set to 0.9 bar, It normally stays around 0.7 bar. this only happens at around 6000rpm though
I think this would be considered as boost creep as it doesn't seem to shoot up from what I saw and it holds.

I have not changed anything before this has happened and it hasn't been driven in about a week.

Car is fairly stock.

FMIC
Manifold
Turbo Elbow
Full Exhaust & Decat
HKS SSQV BOV

Defi Boost Gauge is taking a reading from the inlet side of the engine as well, not sure if that makes a difference.

These are the only performance modifications that have really been fitted.

I'm wondering what can actually cause this and how I can test for it?

I don't think its ever been mapped but I might check later to see if I can find an ECU in the footwell, you never know I suppose but I seriously doubt it.
I've read that this is usually normal after an FMIC install? but its only just occurred today? is this amount of boost safe at the current moment?

Just noticed my brakes are also terrible, possibly a new leak?

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

CMR

Reaction score
Country
With a full exhaust and decat I'm surprised you aren't making more than 0.9 bar to be honest.

Reaction score
Country
wouldn't of thought cold weather could cause my car to creep from .7 to 1.0 bar surely?
Hopefully I can give it a check when it gets warmer and see if it still does it, I'll get it into the garage over the next few days and check all the Intercooler pipes and vacuum hoses again.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Cold weather always increases boost! The air is so much cooler and denser the engine works more efficiently!!!

Do do you not have a boost controller?

Reaction score
Country
I don't have a boost controller, I need to get one.

My main concern is if thats safe.

I expected a bit of creep because of the cold but thought .3 bar was excessive.

Reaction score
Country
Will be the cold air causing the spike , I use to get a small spike in my old car when the air was really cold and that was with a blitz dual sbc and they ain't cheap.

Reaction score
Country
It has warmed up so the boost is not creeping quite as high, but still got a creep.
I'm positive something is wrong somewhere but not sure what to start checking.
Its not quite hitting the warning anymore.

Any advice on where to start with this sort of thing? any common causes on these cars?

Reaction score
I had my car on the dyno and ran it at 1bar to check and the fuelling was fine with that on the stock map, I turned it down and ran it at stock pressure 98% of the time, but it was nice to know for peace of mind.