What's new

Cant Change into 5th or 6th at High RPM

Reaction score
Country
Noticed this today, I thought I'd give it some as I rarely get the opportunity to.

So I was giving it the heavy and when in the high RPM's between 5/7k I would try and change from 4th to 5th....Nope, The shifter acted like the gear wasn't even there, wouldn't go up.

So I had an idea! 6th I thought....Grind...Grind...It just wouldn't go in either, Not until the revs dropped.

At any other speed or situation its fine, It not intermittent. but purely trying to change from 4th to either of these gears at a RPM is impossible.

Any ideas what could be causing this? :(

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
It sounds like a syncro issue! Are 5th and 6th abit crunchy at lower rpm?

If its at high rpm only, it is 80% likely to be the syncro rings worn internally of the gearbox, meaning it will require rebuilding to fix!

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
The only other unlikely thing is that your clutch/slave cylinder are worn and not disengaging the clutch fully. But I'd expect you to have that issue from 3rd to 4th etc.

Reaction score
Country
Ah ****!

Thought that might be the case but I was hoping a clutch/gearbox bleed and fluid change might help.

Gears don't crunch at all really, They just wont go into 5th or 6th at high RPM.

Might have to start getting quotes then.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
I think garage d do some kind of deal where they take your old box and give you another one that has had some sort of mod done to it. Can't think what the mod is off the top of my head but it's a common s15 fix

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Circlip fix . But tbh I know of a few people who have had one of their boxes and they died quick time and I personally wouldn't take my car there after the experience I had .
I will actually have the box off my car for sale soon if you need a box as i am going z33 upgrade .

Reaction score
Country
Really? Ouch. Probably not worth it then.
Garage-D is what I was looking at.

If its my box then yeah, if you have it soon I'd certainly be interested :)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Yeah most recently max on here with the vet s15 , I believe his box let go the other day and that was a low milage box he had the fix done on at garage d. Hardly driven it really either.
Box can be removed whenever bud so let me know if it is your box and you do need one 🏻

Reaction score
Country
Ryan stop ruining my (old) car with your savage gear changes :down: :furious: hahaha

PM'd you mate

Reaction score
Country
Haha! I drive this thing slower than my daily...usually.

Responded, I've also dropped you a message Pegliobaglio :)