What's new

Noise from Front Tension Rod

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Country
Hey all, problem solving time:

I'm getting a loud clunk noise when driving at any speed, turning, going over bumps or cambered roads. Its the front driver's side tension rod I believe. I have adjustable ones, not sure of brand

I took it out tonight and one of the two metal pieces circles here in red sticking out was looser than the other and came out from the rose joint very easily, is this supposed to happen?

Also, when moving things to try and get the sound out I managed to get the centre section (blue in the picture below) and the end nut to move quite easily with a spanner, and the rosejoint bushing moved with it.

I checked all bolts around the area, have new brakes, new coilovers and had many other people confirm the tension rod is making the noise. You can force it to make the noise by pushing the car down at the front and lifting it again.

Is this fixable or am I best to replace the front tension rods?

Thanks,
Chris

[/URL]

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
It just sounds like it all needs tightening up to me. The circled metal bits do come out fairly easily, they are held in place on the car though, so can't fall out and because they are adjustable you would expect the centre bit to move if not tightened. Make sure they are the right length, but apart from that I don't see why there should be any noise once torqued up. You could probably grease the rose joint too, not sure what grease to use but if there's some in there then you won't need to.

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Country
I've greased the rosejoint and everything is as tight as can be. I tightened up the adjustable bit too.

Using a pry bar i cant get anything to move in that area at all now. Could it be some sort tear or deformity in the subframe bits its bolting too, or the bolt holes themselves? Didnt seen anything obvious

Thanks for the reply.

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Yeah I think looking somewhere else is where you'll find your fault. Good call on the tear, but if you've checked you need to keep looking. Other moving and clinking parts at the front to suspect would be anti roll bar drop link and the wishbone ball joint itself or suspension/shocks. Can't think of much else?

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
Lose or the rose joint has worn away. They wear out alot ive replaces a few on my tension and camber arms through out the years.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Just buy hardrace/apex bushed adjustable tension rods. No need to ever replace them again.

I had a knock on mine and it was the ARB drop link not tight enough. You need to test it with wheels on the ground and not jacked up.