What's new

ARC sidemount intercooler

M

mongoose

Hi guys.. if this has been discussed before do point me in the right direction.. didn't quite come up in my search. :)

Otherwise, has anyone experience with the ARC sidemount intercooler for the S15? There's actually 2 part numbers from ARC, the one for the S15 has the thickest core, I am told it is rated up to 1 bar boost pressure / 330 hp setups..

My current custom setup (a/c-IC-rad sandwich) works well except for when air temps climb to 35 deg C in the afternoons. it's either I find ways to improve ram air effect or I go the ARC way..

Here's an earlier pic anyways.. I'm down to my last resort of using a vented bonnet.. which costs about an ARC SMIC?..

Last edited:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Do these offer any benifit over a Front Mounted InterCooler (FMIC)? I thought a Frotn mount was the most efficeint.

J

Jono

Possibly fractionally cheaper and easier to fit than FMIC? But in terms of gains and cooling performance I think you're right mate... FMIC...

M

mongoose

Do these offer any benifit over a Front Mounted InterCooler (FMIC)? I thought a Frotn mount was the most efficeint.
I'm pretty certain by now FMIC would be the best option, just that I was and still am completely adverse to cutting any holes into my body panels..

M

mongoose

Ive always liked the ARC SMIC due to there compact design and being well developed. In reality, not many owners will go to 1 BAR on a Silvia, so it just makes sense to run the compact unit.
Are there many users of the ARC SMIC in Japan? It's pricey and so typically most folks skip it and go straight on to the FMIC. Given the strength of the S15's gearbox I'm not too inclined myself to go beyond 1 bar by much anyways, hence thinking about this.

V

Vandal

Mongoose,

Arc do a crossflow front mount intercooler which does not require any cutting. It is actually cheaper on Nengun that the side mount. It has longer piping (doubles back under the intercooler), but there is no additional lag.

M

mongoose

Thanks very much both :)

It's just that when you go front mount while trying not to cut holes, the pipework becomes really long IMO. Especially when this long portion comes after cooling you'd worry it would heat up again on its way back to the throttle body..

A

Ansch

you mean the turn flow? (where it comes back below and joins the existing pipes). Cross flow is the ones that goes under the battery tray right?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The guys who fit the longer pipe version (in the photo) reckon there is no additional lag. I'm sceptical, because there is additional lag from a standard FMIC, with shorter pipework.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
The apex no cutting battery tray edition should be more laggy compared to the regular setup FMIC as there is more area to be filled with air.

I don't think the ARC one will be more laggy compared to a FMIC. probobly less as the core is smaller.

However, I doubt that you'll feel much difference. I think the ARC would be a good solution if you don't plan on upping the power too much.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Actually, looking at that photo, it looks as though you've removed the viscous fan and the engine fan? That's going to make a big difference to the cooling...

M

mongoose

I think so too "turn-flow" type FMICs will have more lag, in theory that is. So for me it's either cross-flow/regular/hole-cutting FMIC or a better SMIC.

Nicely, I do have an electric fan nestled behind the radiator. It's pulling enough air, but not working nearly as well because the drawn-in air has no place to exit quickly. So one of them GT-style bonnets should be good.

Prob with my setup, is really the ac condensor being very hot when ambient air temp is hotter, compounding my afternoon problems. This being in front of the IC and the rad is not good. (water spray definitely an idea here!) At nights however the setup works great, the very short pipework means I get close to stock response even with a larger intercooler..

But here's an article I found talking about the SMIC in a Supra. Quite interesting indeed.. http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/intake/intercooler_2JZGTE.htm

S

S15R

more lag? trust me you wont feel it, personally i think that stock cooler has more lag, i was worring about turbo lag before i install my fmic but turn out sweet i dont feel any lag tho. i was told that ARC SMIC costs the same as ARC FMIC kit therefore might aswell go for the fmic if im after one :D

btw that is one expensive airbox you have :D

Last edited: