What's new

Oil light with boost

Reaction score
Country
Hi Peeps,

I have noticed that if I accelerate my S15. The oil light will come on after a certain boost pressure. I do not know if it is a certain rev range or a certain bar pressure that instigates the oil light to come on. Car has been de-mapped to 1.1 bar (not sure what that works out as in BHP) as it was pushing 380 bhp from its original JDM state. Any way the car can technically push more than what it does before the oil light comes on (under a Bar). Worried the engine is starved of oil or the sump simply runs low due to the stress. So as soon as light comes on I have started using this as an indicator to change gear now. Call me paranoid.

Can any one explain, help, or suggest a modification to help me understand.

Thanks

Jack

Last edited:

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
The oil pressure should actually be going up if you're revving the engine coming on boost, I'd check/change the sensor itself first as it's cheap. Do you have an oil pressure gauge - it's a good investment especially if it has a warning feature. That way you could see a drop in pressure when the lights coming on. As it would be fed by a different sensor it would be pretty conclusive its a bad stock sensor if there is no change when the light comes on... If it persists then it needs more looking into..

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Yeah if the oil light is correct and you have low pressure then you've already experienced significant wear/damage, but it does sound unlikely given when its occurring. Could be worth checking your alternator and battery, as well as make sure grounds are in good condition and all connected properly.

Reaction score
Country
Hi Dean and Sibbers,

Thanks for your input.

I have since done an oil change and this has stopped it from happening.

I will be replacing the sensor just in case. With regards to the Engine wear, it is a possibility, the engine had to recently be overhauled and re conditioned which was rubbish.

It is possible other areas of the engine are also badly worn as it was just the cylinder block that was done.

Thanks,

Jack