What's new

R33 GTST brake upgrade questions

Reaction score
Country
Hi guys, I'm starting to collect the parts I need to upgrade my brake to an R33 setup.

1. I want to get braided brake lines, which do I buy s15 or r33 or some other?
2. Should I change the master cylinder whilst I'm at it? If so which should I use?

Also where is a good place for discs and pads?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
I'd swap the bmc while I was at it, made a big difference to mine. For the rears you need conversion hoses iirc. A lot of people use conceptua tuning on eBay for this kind of thing :)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
I swapped to ksport fronts and z32 rears and the BMC still managed quite well though I know changing it's a popular upgrade.

Reaction score
Country
If you have a Spec R, you have the same sized master cylinder as the Z32, BM-50. If you have a Spec S you have a smaller BM-44, in which case it would be best to source a BM-50 from a Spec R, because it will bolt in and all of the lines and fittings will work without modification. You will need custom lines; mine were made by StopTech but there are lots of companies around that make them if you look around.

Really, if you have a Spec R, there's not a whole lot of point to using the GTS-T brakes unless you're just doing it for the fun of working on your car or you just love the look of the Skyline calipers.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Really, if you have a Spec R, there's not a whole lot of point to using the GTS-T brakes unless you're just doing it for the fun of working on your car or you just love the look of the Skyline calipers.
That isn't entirely true. I have a set of R32 GTR calipers and the disks are about 12mm bigger, they are thicker and the calipers are cast alloy not cast steel like the S15 ones. I am not sure if the R33 GTST ones are alloy, but if they are, they will be half the weight and I am sure the disk is bigger too. BTW, the calipers are the same design, so once they are fitted, it would be hard to tell the difference. If you are fitting R33 GTR calipers, then that is a different story again.

Reaction score
Country
So I've just bought a complete set with everything included for the conversion. Obviously the front are pretty straight forward but is there a guide anywhere for the rears?

Only one I've found says to remove all the control arms but I'm sure I've read one which says you don't have to?

mbb

Reaction score
Country
If you have a Spec R, you have the same sized master cylinder as the Z32, BM-50. If you have a Spec S you have a smaller BM-44, in which case it would be best to source a BM-50 from a Spec R, because it will bolt in and all of the lines and fittings will work without modification. You will need custom lines; mine were made by StopTech but there are lots of companies around that make them if you look around.

The 2 pot rears are worth it compared to the stock S15 brakes.

OP, don't forget you need a R33 Handbrake cable too - this can be from any R33 that has a drum set up :)

Reaction score
Country
Thanks! I'm sure I'll figure it out once it's all arrived.

Where can I get a seal kit for the rears?? There's plenty of front but only place I've found for rears is in the states