What's new

Clutch pedal down = Grinding noise

Reaction score
Country
Hello

Im having this wierd noise coming when I press down my clutch pedal.
Recently I changed to a Exedy sports organic clutch and a brand new Koyo release bearing.
After some months it started to make some sort of grinding noise when I press down my clutch pedal.

I then changed my releasebearing to an uprated one, noise was gone for a month, maybe 1.5. But now it came back, worse this time.
Havnt driven it for more than 2000km with the new releasebearing. Pilot bearing was fine when I changed it aswell.

Do any of you had the same problem?
Is it my transmission starting to give up? Heard so many said, release bearing, clutch, pilot bearing OR the input shaft bearing in the transmission.

Here is a video of how it sounds.
Wierd part is that it stops almost everytime I put in 5th gear :|

Reaction score
That sounds awful ! Not a helpful comment but you need to take it apart and make sure you've not got a ****ed gearbox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
You have changed everything else, so I would be thinking input shaft bearing. The only other thing is if something is either not aligned correctly or it is bent which could be causing failures of previously replaced items.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
That's a weird one alright seeing as you've changed the release bearing.... input shaft noise is normally with the clutch up as the shaft is engaged with the engine in neutral so rhe input bearing is under load. With the clutch pressed down the friction disc isn't being clamped and the release bearing is under load. Sounds clutch related rather than gearbox...

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
I'd agree with Meddler, if the bearing isn't on nicely or something else isn't aligned it would be a likely cause. Is it still on an s15 flywheel?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Wierd one for sure.
Having the transmission out, look for shaft play, here's what I found
Its a Driftworks S15 flywheel yes.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
That would be input shaft bearing shot. Did you find it was very noisy until you pressed the clutch down then it went quiet?

Reaction score
Country
It wasnt noisy at all until I pressed down the clutch pedal :/ I did a 5spd swap to get rid of it