What's new

VVT rattle

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Hi guys

Just asking if anyone has had the VVT rattle and replaced the VTC sprocket to fix it? Only asking as I've got the rattle and I know I could maybe go with a black top head and remove the VVT altogether but didn't want to lose that mid range torque. So I've ended up buying a new VTC sprocket and should be getting it fixed in a few weeks.

My question is has anyone replaced it and the rattle came back over time?

(I upgraded my valve spring and retainers last year so I think it maybe that which has pushed the VVT over the edge).

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
I have been reading up about this and apparently it can come back, it seems when it does it's because the oil sprayer bars are bunged up with crap so my advice would be give em a claen while you're there. I have the VVT rattle noise too, only at start up and first pull away - I've never experienced it in another car so I could be wrong, but to my ears it sounds a lot like squishy lifters do.

Would love for it to be gone, it's like car herpes. Interested to know how you get on with yours, so do let us know!

Reaction score
Country
I replaced the sprocket when mine was rattling...after some months it was starting to rattle again on startup (ever so slightly)...bought a new vtc solenoid...no more rattle at all. The solenoid is an easy fix and shouldn't take you more than 10minutes

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Cheers guys, mine is pretty noisy now it will go away once up to temp but it is doing my head in so need to get it sorted.

yeah I've read about the solenoid as well but I think its pretty rare for that to fail. I will see how I get on with replacing the sprocket first. The car gets serviced every 6 months regardless of mileage so its always got good clean oil in it.

Its booked in for the 7th so will see and let you guys know..

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
By the way guys, the new VTC sprocket sorted it out, had it fitted yesterday. Nice and smooth again now :)

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Ooh tempting. How much trouble was it to change? What did you have to remove to do it?

Reaction score
Country
Glad to hear you got it sorted! I'd also be interested in how much work was required, although I've not got the rattle, it's never too far away