What's new

Clunking from rear :( Help p

Reaction score
Country
Don't worry, I've searched

When cornering (right hand turn, weight on back LHS wheel, I've developed a clunking.

I know sort of what to look for, so first things first jacked up the car and removed both wheels, I've got nismo lowering springs (not fitted by me).

I noticed that on the springs on the LHS a nylon/rubber collar has fallen and is just sitting on top of the shock absorber. - there's nothing on the RHS, that's clear. I've included pics to help explain what I'm talking about and the comparison between the two.

What's the nylon collar for? I've not seen one on springs before and frankly can't see where it belongs.
would this cause my problem?

I hope so, because I don't want to take the diff off.

Here are the pics ;-

Sorry about the pictures, tinypic has turned them 90° for some reason.

Heres the RHS, no nylon ring.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
I know, yeah! Don't want to spend 600+ quid to try and fix a problem without evidence to replace it (if that makes sense)

Reaction score
Country
I know, yeah! Don't want to spend 600+ quid to try and fix a problem without evidence to replace it (if that makes sense)

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Not sure what the nylon ring is for but I'd be surprised if you're hearing clonking from the shock because of that with no evidence of leaking although I'm not an expert and get stuff wrong loads so use your own sense of judgement... :) Does it pass the bounce test? Assuming it does, i'd take a look at things like ARB drop links as these go quite often (and don't cost much to replace) or perhaps subframe bushes... it used to be that you could see liquid coming out of these when they failed, but I removed mine (by chopping cutting burning etc) and there was no goop despite being in excellent condition, so I'm not sure what to recommend looking for except witness marks that shouldn't be there.

Can you get the clunk to occur without turning, but just by braking/accelerating? I would expect that to happen with subframe bushes. I'm not sure what else would clonk back there to be honest, but you should be able to tell from the handling issues being caused. Any more info on that?

Reaction score
Country
Thanks for your help guys, you've all been reslly helpful! :)

No handling issues mate, no - seems the same as before truth be told.
What is weird is that it hasn't happened for the last few days?
It doesn't seem to happen at all in reverse nor when accelerating which sort of steers me away from from the diff.

Checked the top mount of the strut yesterday and both nuts seem tight?

Bit of a weird one, but as I said, its not happened since I raised this thread? Perculiar!