What's new

subframe misalignment

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
What tells you your subframe is misaligned? Is it visual or something about the drive? On older s chassis cars I've had the bushes have worn to the point there has been knocking and clonking, and sometimes you can see fluid has escaped but the s15 bushes appear not to be fluid filled, just rubber with holes. That said, I recently put Whiteline bushes in to replace my completely fine standard bushes and its made a really nice improvement to the handling. Very predictable and sharp. Horrible job though and you need a press to get the bushes in.

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
I've had the s15 for 13 years, it's always been this way. Lots of other people have this issue too but it's now eating at me and I want to fix it up

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
I dont get how it can be misaligned...... there are only 4 holes and it only bolts on one way. How have you had your car set up geometrically?

I can see it being sloppy with tired bushes. I have metal bushes in mine and it fits on so snug its impossible to miss align it.

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
You can only be talking about compliance in the subframe bushes then, in which case locking collars or uprated bushings would be the solution.

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
It's fair to say that with 13 years of ownership and a 2002 build date I've had the car long enough to have fresh bushes everywhere, so it's not a worn out bush thing when I first noticed it.

It's believed that the studs off the rails were jigged wrong and all s15's came like this, but obviously not ALL of them since you guys don't have the issue. Maybe it's an Australian model issue? Us Aussies can visually see the misalignment and it's also been measured by professional alignment workshops.

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Wow that's mental. So what results with the misalignment? Can it be overcome with geometry adjustments to toe, camber etc? Would love to see photos demonstrating what you mean if you have the time/inclination.

Reaction score
Website
www.crossbarryprecision.com
Country
_Wing_ is right, the S15 had some issue with misalignment of the subframe from factory. I have a very slight difference on both sides of the car where my rear wheel sticks out further on one side than the other. Does'nt bother me too much though. Maybe it is more of an issue on the Aus S15 though

Reaction score
Country
I can see by eye. Rear right is flush with the arch, rear left Is about 10mm furthur into the arch. Exact same wheel size, tyre size and the geometry has been set.

Reaction score
Website
www.crossbarryprecision.com
Country
Yeah Mine is the same aswel, only noticeable if you're really looking!

If that's the case then the only way to fix that is adjustable lower arms?
I have all my arms adjustable but its the subframe itself that this is misaligned so the hub will always be out of place. I could adjust my arms as much as I wanted but the wheel would still be sticking out beyond the arch on one side and flush on the other :(

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
That's so weird. I checked mine and took some photos from the same places just to make sure and it all seems good. Mine is a '99 model. i don't really see how some could be misaligned and others not unless they are actually produced in different factories tho... Interesting and unexpected!

Reaction score
Country
Mine doesn't have this problem. Sure you guys don't just have crash damaged cars? There's tonnes of Spec R's out there with accident history, the majority I would say.

_Wing_

Trader
Reaction score
Like I said I've owned it basically from new and it's always been like this, it's a known issue that didn't bother me tooooooo much but after all these years it's chipped away at me lol

Adjustable / lengthening the arms will fix it "visually" but then you'll have different geometry so cornering will be weird from left to right. The only way is to reposition the subframe itself.

When I have time I'll get it measured up and go from there

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
From what I have heard it was a bit hit and miss with the factory alignment. Some cars were fine and others were not. I heard that fitting aftermarket bushes can help the problem but not completely fix it. The best bet would be to take it to a smash repairer and get them to put it on the jig and go from there.