What's new

Engine coolant temp

M

mongoose

Hi guys,

I know this depends too on the climate in different countries, but what would be the normal/average engine coolant temperature for say a stock S15?

The only info I can find so far from the S15 manual is that the (electric) cooling fan shouldn't switch on before engine coolant reaches 94 deg C - this seems a bit high for normal operation? (no factory electric fan came with my car though).

Thanks! :)

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Hi guys,

I know this depends too on the climate in different countries, but what would be the normal/average engine coolant temperature for say a stock S15?

The only info I can find so far from the S15 manual is that the (electric) cooling fan shouldn't switch on before engine coolant reaches 94 deg C - this seems a bit high for normal operation? (no factory electric fan came with my car though).

Thanks! :)
The electric fan is for the Air-condition. My fan goes on and off whenever the AC is turned on.

the fan for the regular radiator is of viscous type and is constantly on whenever the engine is running.

M

mongoose

I see.. we can really do with that over here with our sort of weather. But most S15s I come across don't have this particular fan fitted..

Reaction score
Country
When I still had my water temp gauges, normal driving is around 85 to 90C. When I trash it alittle, it goes to around 94 to 96C. That's in hot summer. During winter, temperature never reaches 90C.

M

mongoose

Hmm. Should do. Its under the big plastic cowling, fitted against the back of the rad.
when I first got my hands on the service manual, I was wondering too if the first owner of my car had it taken out. but later found that S15s after March 2001 didn't have the electric condensor fan. From this webpage: http://www.geocities.jp/sr_garage/oldindex.htm, really good write-ups on S15 (with online translator ;))

Not sure why the fan was removed though..

Last edited:
M

mongoose

When I still had my water temp gauges, normal driving is around 85 to 90C. When I trash it alittle, it goes to around 94 to 96C. That's in hot summer. During winter, temperature never reaches 90C.
thanks! :) Ok our weather here should be similar to your summer. We get up to 35 deg C air temp in the early afternoon sometimes..

D

Derek

Yeah i was also wondering about the fan thing. My car 02 hasn't that fan but i have seen it in a few 00 and 99 s15's. Always wondered..

M

mongoose

hmmm... maybe different situation for different markets?

Here's the table anyway, fan part number is 92120-85F01.

.... off topic here, but Nicely would you have technical drawing of the alternator used in the S15? Part number 23100-85F10..

Reaction score
Its used to cool the AC also if your car over heats it kicks in... Dont put your hand near it... it bloddy hurts... nearly lost a few fingers...

Reaction score
Country
the coolant temp only ever reaches a max of 83oC in my car that with fmic installed. never reached over 80 without it.
not sure how high it will get on the track, but that wat i get on the roads.

S

S15R

since i owned 3 s15s

1999 S15 i had didnt come with the fan
2001 S15 does come with the fan, comes on whenever the a/c is on
2002 S15 doesnt come with the fan

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
That really is bizzare. Double checked FAST and it shows a fan assembly on both the JDM Spec R and S.

92120-85F00 01/1999-10/1999
92120-85F03 10/1999->

Both show an alternative PN of 92120-85F01, which mean they've all got to be pretty much the same.

The fan is fitted to every EDM S14/a too...

If someone without the fan gives me the chassis number, I'll verify if it had one when it left the factory :)

Reaction score
I was looking at this today, I don't have it either. I have the harness clipping to the fan shroud but the car does not have one. I swapped an entire front half from a Spec R and it did not come with one. Should I swap one in?