What's new

Barnesy's Spec-S (for a good reason)

Reaction score
Country
So the story goes that my mate has recently bought a looking chassis with the veil side fortune kit for the Supra and we've started moving everything.

He then convinced me I needed a japanese RWD beauty so I started looking and fell in love with the S15's lines (the only thing I'd change is I LOVE the zenki and kouki S14 front ends, bit hey nothing's perfect!).

I found the Spec-R's just a smite out of my budget for a lump sum payment so I had an epiphany. I have found a really solid Spec-S, absolutely stock and wonderful to drive.

(Just after its first wash)

First plans were suspension and wheels. Then I found.....a bad excuse for a radio! With a mini disc payer too. So out that came and the first mod was a 6.2" pioneer touch screen with Bluetooth, DVD player, radio etc. and it works a treat.

My mate also found an old 5 speed mono gear knob so that's been put in too.

The next stage was to check the lights as I'm living in Germany for 2 or 3 years and need them flat beamed or converted.

While I was there my mate has bought some HIDs for his does but they eye the wrong bulb type so I had them off him for my main beams! As you can see (or hopefully not) my stealthy installation of the ballasts just behind the right wing and (not pictured) on the site intake piping.

I've decided it's a bit beyond me but found a company that does conversions and will also do a full restore on my lights. Just need to find some now so I don't have to stop driving.

More pics to come if the car not on so many pieces. The long term goal is to put a 2jz and 5 speed gear box in but we'll see how funds go!

Reaction score
Country
Looks nice. Mine is a Spec S, was a very good price for a mint condition chassis. I did the DE->DET swap, it's pretty cheap and a simple bolt in swap. I only drove the car about 1 mile before changing the engine but I have top say I found the stock Spec S very dissapointing.
What I'm trying to say is that if budget is an issue then a 2JZ swap is going to clean you out and after that you end up with a boat anchor over the front axle. The car is plenty fast with a light tuned SR in it, I don't see the point in the 2J personally.

Reaction score
Country
Yeah I see your point and as a novice to the S15 and SR20 I will take what you've said under consideration, my only drama with it is that I would like to get sideways a fair bit but I'm concerned about the life span of the SR20 gearbox. I've heard bad things about it when you start ragging it around. I want something bullet proof, and you don't get more bullet proof than a 2jz + manual gearbox