What's new

Fitting Harnesses to Bucket Seats WITHOUT a cage

Reaction score
Country
I have a pair of Bride's i will be fitting to the S15 but i want to know if any of you guys have fitted a 4 point harness to a Silvia WITHOUT a Harness Bar on the roll cage. I dont plan on getting a cage anytime soon :down:

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
I use a 3 point harness, and bought a spare rear seat belt male buckle and attached it to my the 3rd point strap. Then I can plug it into my rear seat belt.
It's just beyond the 45' limit so I always use my seatbelt too when on track.

Reaction score
Country
Surely that defeats the object if you use both the OEM seatbelt & the harness Sam lol.

I planned to use just my OEM seatbelts with the Brides, like the NSX-R

But thought if I could utilise a harness safely, I'd upgrade to that.

Something I saw a while back is this setup in an R34 using OEM rear seatbelt mounts and eye bolts and these Takata snap on things.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/02/takata-equipped-project-gtrs-new-belts/

Not sure if they are really up to the job

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
My thoughts behind it was,
1)I can remove the harness from the back seatbelt and then still use the rear seats
2) a 3 point holds you so much more tightly when braking hard allowing more control. Compared to standard belt.
3) I only use both belts on a track day for extra protection incase my harness mount fails, or in a crash with harness mounted below the 45 degrees to the seat harness holes, you can submarine under the lap section.

Fia standards for harness require them to be mounted parallel to the upper seat harness holds or maximum of 45. Due to the risk of submarining and back injuries.

Thats why the lower rear seat belt mounts are not the best idea. But it can be done.

Reaction score
Country
Can you nor use the upper rear strut brace that some people have that appears to go across the parcel shelf? Don't know if it would be strong enough but the mounting point would be the ideal height.

Reaction score
I've always removed the rear seat belts and fitted eye bolts and clipped the harnesses to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
See my thought was to use the 4 belt taka name harnesses and attach them to the rear seat belt mounts, having already removed the rear and front seat belts. Is this road legal and would therefore pass an MOT?

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Can you nor use the upper rear strut brace that some people have that appears to go across the parcel shelf? Don't know if it would be strong enough but the mounting point would be the ideal height.

Never do this! The strut bar is not strong enough.

You could get a harness bar welded in between the two rear towers and Lower the seats and attach them. But this needs to be done professionally.