What's new

Oil coolers??

Reaction score
Country
Hi guys, my s15 should be here in a few weeks and it's got an oil cooler fitted.

My question is..... Are they needed? The cars only got intake/exhaust mods and I won't be tracking it so could it be getting over cooled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
if your not driving it hard on track then you won't need one.. Just put decent oil in it and you'll be fine :)

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Had one on my last s15 took ages to heat up and in winter would only see around 70C so covered it up during winter times never needed it on road at all.

Reaction score
Country
It would be an easy job to remove it wouldn't it? Can't be too hard. Looks like on the pictures it I front of the radiator so if I covered it my radiator wouldn't be as effective.

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Very easy pal where your oil filter is when doing an oil change remove the sandwich plate where your braided hoses will be connected.

When you get it if your still planning on stopping by or meet up on your journey back can show you :)

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
No they are not needed on the road as everyone has said, but before you remove it, check it doesn't have a thermostat. If it does, there is no harm in leaving it because when the oil is cold, the cooler is bypassed.

Reaction score
Country
To be fair it looks like it could possibly be a Greddy cooler and they have thermostats in so I might be lucky. Seen a gauge that shows oil pressure and then oil temp, water temp on a small digital screen so I'll probably get something like that