What's new

Tapping sound...

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Hi guys, right just removed my ABS and finally got the car back on the road everything was running fine then when I stopped after giving it a little blast I noticed a tapping noise that would change with revs but drown out at around 3k.

also no power and stutters/misfire when trying to give it power. any help would be great

video attached...

Last edited:

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Looking like VCT rattle on some similar videos, I did move and sort some wiring near the VCT solenoid anyway to check this?

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Well if the noise and power loss Are linked, then it sounds like you may have snapped a rocker arm?

Did the power loss and noise start at the same time?

Or was the power loss there when you first drove it?

It could be so many things considering you've been fiddling with it. But if they came on at the same time then they are pitiably linked!

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Was fine when cold and when warming up soon as I had been driving about 30mins gave it a little nothing crazy showing 1bar hit on the boost controller pulled over and was tapping and no power.

its got rocker arm stoppers installed?

All i I have done is removed brake lines,ABS block, and just tidied some of the cable/hoses. The hesitation in power loss feels like when a coil pack has gone really boggy and just misfiring no power at all.

Seen about oil pick up pipe sometimes causing the rattle but would that link to the power loss?

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Right when cold no noise what so ever silent drive around for 30mins get it warm not boosting or going crazy the noise came back, does it in gear and out of gear.

removed the head everything looks fine, nothing broke or any metal filings/shavings. When listening through the cover with a screwdriver the noise sounds loudest around the front bulge where the VCT is, the oil pipes can I remove them and clean them?

Still got the hesitation on boost like kangaroo/misfire but all pipes look secure. Running a defi gauge boost and greddy boost controller and running fc commander.

Help! :)

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
You removed the head???? Or just rocker cover?

I would unplug the vtc whilst it's idling as that can sometimes eliminate it! Have you checked the oil level? As the vtc only gets noisey when there's lack of oil in there. Or when it's totally worn out or maybe broken.

If if I were you I would do a compression check/ then leak down test.

Maybe be swap some coils with someone. actually have you checked your spark plugs?? As it may have melted a plug! But tbh jay its so hard to guess over the Internet!

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
I know need someone local who knows what to look for appreciate the help Sam. I removed the cam cover sorry.

right just checked the oil it's close to Low level mark and not very golden so will be changing, I'm running an s14 loom with the igniter chip I did move this out the way as it was close to the manifold it's not bolted down ATM just cable tied to the wiper motor. Will be checking the plugs tomorrow.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Ah its an s14 unit. The ignitor packs can be alittle but temperamental but that doesn't explain how you got rattle and power loss at the same time.

Have you you done the ecu fault memory paper clip trick to read the fault codes. Although I'm not sure the s15 way is same with s14 loom and ECU? I can't remember the pins off the top of my head but a little search or in the useful links section should have it.

It sucks man, it's going to be quite an odd fix if te rapping and power loss is related. Mitch at drift garage is close to you? He's supposed to be good with these, or even garage d? As they built it didn't they?

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Yer can try one of the garages, it's annoying just got back in to S-bodies and hate it haha.

The car was running spot on soon as it was out the garage then a boost pipe popped off the car on the intercooler took it home refitted went back out on the night little boost and sideways fun and then tapping and running rough.

I did remove the carbon canister lines and left these open to atmosphere under the car?

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
The ones to the fuel tanks should be looped together!!

Did you have the boost pipe off to tidy things up? The missfire could be boost leak related! But you need a garge with a good smoke pressure tester.
What were the spark plugs like when you changed them?

If I was closer then I'd be more than happy to lend a hand!

I still think S15's are the best, I just couldn't trust one over 300bhp. They seem quite fragile! The only way if trust one is if I got it all done myself! As I don't trust other people to do it right! I really hope it's a cheap easy fix dude!

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Well pipes are looped together, everything is back to how it was connected and still a problem. Dropped the boost to 1bar and no luck.

old plugs were pretty gone been in there a while, the new ones are gapped different may gap them the same as the old. Yer I love the car just past month with replacing the turbo gaskets,tidying a few things up and the boost leak hardly driven it.

the rattle is defo vvt so sorted one problem. Limited a lot of possibilities as well if no luck after gapping the plugs again will pop down driftgarge.

thanks Sam for the offer

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
after talking to Greg at protune it's only got a base map not even been tuned was lied to by the last guy so me upping it from 1bar to 1.2bar has faulted something. I've switched the greddy unit off but still not liking it, getting a compression test tomorrow and inspecting fuel pump/filter

It's booked in for a check up and full custom tune at Protuner...can't trust anyone.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
What a piece of **** some people are! You get so many people who lie about cars. I just don't get it! Honesty is a forgotten trait!

I really ally hope no damage has been done jay and you'll be back on the S15 love train!

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Cheers guys, its driving spot on off boost so hope its totally fine and nothing done, but looks like its hitting fuel cut the injector duty wont increase over 46% normally reads at 60-70%.

Will see what happens tomorrow when the compression tested and fuel pump checked. Shame really but another thing i have learnt Greg said in future any guy selling a car which has been tuned by him call him he knows them all. very helpful guy.

Jay-pan

Reaction score
Country
Bad news!!!!

compression results 100,95,100,115 so engine is shagged! Spoke to Greg and he's said it's not worth tuning it as it's pretty much on its last legs.

so decision time another SR or do RB25? Looking like £1000 for a decent SR engine 2k forged or £2-3k RB25 but plus side can sell my set up off to cover the cost.

So input people?

Last edited:

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
RB!!! Although if you can get a drive in one first it would be better as I've heard it changes the balance a lot!! And I'm not sure I'd want to loose that!

Reaction score
Country
Only reason to go rb is the noise really. They seem to have cooling issues in s bodies as well requiring a massive (loud) fan.

To buy and fit an rb with box etc etc and to get decent power you'd be looking at a fair wedge of cash. I'd pull your engine and get it rebuilt. If you do the leg work and source the bits yourself from places like frsport etc you'd have a strong engine with loads of potential for far less than an rb. Plus it keeps the car the way it should be.