What's new

blowing exhaust...turbo/manifold area.

Reaction score
Country
Well finally got the time to have a look at my blowing exhaust as the job has been pushed to the bottom of the list again,
I started stripping it down today so I could get a better look and it looks as though its blowing from the manifold to cylinder head gasket so my first question is...is this common or should I need to look into it a bit further to find out why its gone? Second question...because I haven't got lots of experience working on s15s I would like to know if there is a prefered sequence for taking the manifold and turbo off the car... I imagine the turbo will need splitting from the manifold from underneath the car to get to the inner lower nuts on the manifold...and my last question is.....is it worth upgrading the manifold while I'm there or is the standard manifold good enough?.. I would also like to unlock a bit more power soon keeping within safe guidelines because I don't fancy forging another engine just yet....thanks in advance.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
You need to take the turbo off with the manifold. Its abit of a bitch of a job.

No you don't need to upgrade the manifold, standard ones are good for 400ish. And will give you less headaches than a aftermarket one.

The studs can snap on the head so make sure you use lots of wd40/ rust off lubricant.

Its most likely to be the turbo to manifold gasket. And use nothing but genuine gaskets.

Would defo recommend fitting braided turbo oil and water lines whilst your at it, as they are prone to failing. Driftworks and apex performance sell the kits

Reaction score
Country
You need to take the turbo off with the manifold. Its abit of a bitch of a job.

No you don't need to upgrade the manifold, standard ones are good for 400ish. And will give you less headaches than a aftermarket one.

The studs can snap on the head so make sure you use lots of wd40/ rust off lubricant.

Its most likely to be the turbo to manifold gasket. And use nothing but genuine gaskets.

Would defo recommend fitting braided turbo oil and water lines whilst your at it, as they are prone to failing. Driftworks and apex performance sell the kits
Right then, my manifold and turbo are off the car now, was pretty straight forward with no snapped studs or bolts,
It was indeed the manifold to turbo gasket, there was a piece about an inch long just blown out but what confused me even more was that all four nuts were loose! And I mean loose! Not even finger tight!, no idea how because they are clamped in place once tightened, the only thing I can come up with is the previous owner might have had it apart and not put it back together properly as I've only done a couple of hundred miles in it since I've owned it.

Anyone on here supply genuine parts? Could do with servicing it while I'm there as well,
Thanks for the advice regarding braided oil and water lines, I'll get some purchased and installed, thanks.