What's new

Oil Filter Change

Reaction score
Country
Time for an oil + oil filter change. Just after some pointers.

Well I read on the s15 service manual and it says, when u feel resistance, turn another 2/3 round.

Someone in ns.com says if you overtighten it, it will get baked into the engine and you can't get it off. So here I am. Just wondering how you all do it and any safety precautions and what not.

And how often do you change your oil filter? I've serviced my car at a reputable workshop before and they recommend me to change oil filter once every two oil change. Some said to change oil filter everytime you change oil??

Thanks!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Haha! Welcome to the SR20DET oil change :D If this is the first time you've done it on your S15, you may well find that the last person who fitted one was a monkey and welded on for you! :rolleyes: If it was done by Nissan, this will probably be the case... :annoyed:

The easiest way to remove the filter is to loosen it off whilst the engine is still hot/warm, then drain. If you've got a JDM, you'll want to remove the boost sensor from the suspension turret to get better access. Its a case of being a contortionist to reach the filter and turn it. Either that or get little Jap arms :p A marigold rubber glove often comes in handy to gain better grip :ghey:

If it doesn't loosen, you could try all the usual filter removal tools. Failing that, its a screwdriver job...

To put the new one on, fresh oil round the seal, then tighten till the seal starts holding, then another 2/3 to 3/4 turn. This should make removing a cinch in future :)

Alternatively, fit one of these :D

A K&N oil filter makes removing a piece of piss too :nod:

V

Vandal

I would change your oil filter every time you change your oil. It's really your first line of defence in terms of preventing engine wear and they aren't that expensive.

Reaction score
Country
I guess I'll change the oil filter every time i change the oil then. I got a trust one. Cost me 23 bucks. The k&n one looks tacky, has this little knob on it to turn I guess? Nice!

The oil filter relocation kit looks good as well. Damn, need to get one of these to save me some time changing oil filter. Will update on how I go this weekend.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The 'knob' on the K & N is a 27mm socket point... Socket + extension + ratchet = no welded filters and no scraped knuckles :)

Reaction score
where did u purchase the oil filter relocation thing at nicely and also wheres the best place to get a standard oil filter?Would one for a ukdm 200sx fit grand?

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
where did u purchase the oil filter relocation thing at nicely and also wheres the best place to get a standard oil filter?Would one for a ukdm 200sx fit grand?
I used to have one of those kits.
Got it from perfectrun. Getting a standard filter from Nissan isn't that expensive. I got a copy filter from another brand. It was supposed to be the same as the Nissan and even labeled for Nissan 200SX S14.
But it didn't work very well with the filter relocation kit.

It popped of, spraying oil all over my engine bay :(
A Greddy Oil pressure gauge probobly saved my engine.
I was at a stand still so no harm done. Just check extra carefully that the filter fits good and you should be OK.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I got mine cheap from Apex Performance. Filter-wise: Nissan. Seriously. You'd be hard pressed to get one cheaper and they are more than up to the job. Same goes for the STANDARD Nissan filter. They are actually quite good. Its the box that's crap...

Reaction score
Country
Just did the oil and oil filter change yesterday. Overall not too hard. I manage to squeeze my tiny asian hands to unscrew and fit the new filter. :p

The last guy who did my service wasnt a monkey, good thing i brought it to a reputable workshop to do my service. Had no trouble of loosening it and all. Lucky that I didn't buy an oil filter wrench as I dont see much space down there for me to use it.

On the other hand, I wasnt told they are supposed to be quite bit of oil to spilled out from the oil filter. Kinda left some oil on the garage due to that. And some on the suspension components as well. Next time, I'll get a towel ready!

elizium

Reaction score
Website
www.mys15.org
Just did the oil and oil filter change yesterday. Overall not too hard. I manage to squeeze my tiny asian hands to unscrew and fit the new filter. :p
I think the most important tool for any Nissan sport car maintenance is tiny asian hands with triple jointed wrists... :) :) Lucky bastard!!! :) :)

I had a hard time getting my oil filter off yesterday.. in the end my friend got fed up and whacked a 3/4" extension bar through the center of it and twisted it off that way :)

I definitely concur with Nicely on the relocation kit... mine is in the post from perfectrun right now :)

S

S1Five

sorry to be off topic

does anyone have the oil filter part number thats from nissan?
i just bought one and just wanted to confirm its the right filter for my car before doing my servicing, dont trust those nissan employees here!

mine is, well i assume this is the part number
15208-65F00AU

i wonder if its same for UK and aus... hmm!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Its difficult to say. There are so many alternative PNs. Its the same filter as the Z33 and a host of other Nissans. They'd have to be complete monkeys to get it wrong.

Reaction score
Country
I've just checked FAST for you.

Yep that's the correct part number for oil filter. Just a reminder, after you put in your oil filter, start your engine and let it run for few minutes before you start driving. Just to see if the oil filter is loose or what not. A little insurance doesnt hurt.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Don't be surprised if you get a different number from a dealer though. Think I get a different number just about every change :p Its the same filter though... :nod:

If anyone fits the relocation kit, remember to prime new filters before starting the engine. Pull the fuel pump fuse and turn over the engine for a couple of seconds. This is enough to pump oil into the filter :)

Reaction score
Country
Hmmm what will happen if you dont prime the new filters on a relocation kit? Wouldn't the oil still reach it even if you dont plug out the fuel pump fuse?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Its one of those arguements - between the oil being in the filter and being filtered before parts are moving and not. Personally, I'm not entirely convinced, but for the sake of a couple of seconds I don't mind doing it just in case :)

Reaction score
15208-9f600 is the filter i got from apex.... so i'm pretty sure they know what they're doing so i'm not worried.

but, as said.. there's alot of filters all the same!