What's new

S15 Tractor Noise

Reaction score
Country
Hello everyone

I've experienced this many times, when my car is idling it'd sound like a tractor. Sound occurs quite frequently and some days it'd sound perfectly fine. When i release the clutch to the clutch point and give gas it goes away.
I've done a few research and found out it had something to do with the vtc unit, solenoid?

Could someone please explain to me the problem and whether this problem is serious and if i should take immediate action.
A price range would be awesome too (NZ)

Thank you

Reaction score
Country
More than likely the VCT, common SR20 issue. It was a basic design **** up from nissan, but as far as I'm aware doesn't cause any damage, it can just get irritating. If it really annoys you, then you can fork out for a new solenoid (if you wanna pay a price). Nissan never released a fix because it doesn't do any harm. I have heard of them going at 20k milage and I have heard of others not going to 100k+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
Haha thanks so much for the reply.

It does get irritating, especially when people look at your car and they have that expression on their face like 'wtf'. Well no biggie, since it's not a problem i'll just leave it as it is. Also i don't think my car has any problem with the noise whilst traveling. Glad i don't have that problem, if so it'd be a pain in the ass

Reaction score
Country
No worries mate! Yeah, it should go away when you start on the throttle, just an annoying idle.. I get people asking if mine is broke a fair bit, but that's my 2 way diff having a bit of a clunk at low speeds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
Haha thanks so much for the reply.

It does get irritating, especially when people look at your car and they have that expression on their face like 'wtf'. Well no biggie, since it's not a problem i'll just leave it as it is. Also i don't think my car has any problem with the noise whilst traveling. Glad i don't have that problem, if so it'd be a pain in the ass
Get it sorted, as it is only going to get louder and worse. It is possible to remedy it quickly and cheaply.

Reaction score
Country
I had this problem in another sr20det of mine. I replaced the VVT( or CAS depending where you're from), tuned it and changed the chain tensioner and the issue went away

Reaction score
Country
I can't afford anything right now so if it isn't a major issue then it's fine by me.
Unless the repair is cheap then i'd have to take that into consideration as it does get really loud sometimes.