What's new

brakes lock up easily

Reaction score
Country
hey guys my jdm spec r locks up/abs kicks in too easily it seems and it feels like i cant brake hard at all. i dont know if this is because of my brake pads (oem) or some abs problem also front tyres are stock width and full tread depth. some advice would be greatly appreciated

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
You may have a sticky brake caliper, causing it to lock up quickly. Its likely that or just as likely to be your tyres. What make are they and are they cheap ones? As the brakes transfer the braking power through the wheels, to the tyres and if you've got cheap tyres on then they won't grip and the brakes will lock up.

Tyres are the one thing you should always buy the best!

Reaction score
I would agree with the above with regards to tyres being the first thing i would look at. A set of good performance tyres with good tread, that havent been on the car for ages, as the rubber does have a shelf life and a set of slightly upgraded pads should see huge improvements.

Reaction score
Country
I noticed this on my stock brakes, and even more so when i upgrade just the front setup to K-Sport 8-Pot 330mm. would lock up all the time even in the dry.
I then upgraded the master cylinder the the Z32 BM57 & the rear Z32/R33 Brake setup. Along with EBC Yellow Stuff Pads.

Now, once warm, they never lock up and gives you a great pedal feel.

Reaction score
Country
cool thanks guys ill do a rebuild of my calipers and new pads as my tyres are brand new kumhos

Jaydej

Reaction score
Country
Tyres for sure, I'm running 330mm ksports with friction performance pads and with my track tyres toyo r888 they will rarely lock up around the track but when I'm on the road with my rubbish budgets my little toe can get the abs going

Reaction score
Country
Ah ok I thought kumhos were good, lucky I'm getting new rims soon. Thanks for the advice guys �� much appreciated