What's new

S15 Noises

B

Brandon333

Hey All,

I have a stock jdm s15 which is making a few different noises. I was able to rule out the turbo but am still unable to pin point where the noise/s are coming from. I had taken it to a mechanic who couldn't figure it out either (obviously not the best mechanic for these cars). Is there anyone in Sydney who is familiar with SR20's, specifically the JDM s15's, who I could take for a short drive just to see if you can figure out where the noises my car is making are coming from and whether it is safe to continue driving? It should only take 20-30 minutes and I will pay with a case of beer. This car is a daily driver which I use for work so I need to make sure it will continue to run.

The noises I can hear are as follows;

Rattling: There is a bad rattling noise coming from the front left side of my car (near side front). It happens most obviously when the car is idling at around 900rpm, but can be heard intermittently at all rpm ranges. Cannot hear it in the engine bay at all but is very loud in the cabin. May be coming from the wheel or in the engine bay close to the firewall. This noise is intermittent, so I'm pretty sure this rules out a turbo. Maybe a loose bolt or cable or something hitting my firewall? Started about a week ago.

Clicking/Ticking: Original post: (http://nissansilvia....owtopic=2442867. My apologies if I am unable to link to a different forum, just trying to get as many people to see this as possible). All is explained in the link, but here is a quick recap. When my car is running between about 2-5.5k rpm there is a very audible clicking noise coming from the engine bay. The noise gets louder the higher the RPM is but doesn't get faster (so ruling out the turbo). I think it may be a boost solenoid, but I am unsure. The noise is intermittent. Started about a month ago.

Different Clicking: This one is a bit harder to explain. It's more a metal hitting metal sound every so often as opposed to a constant clicking. It's most notable when I just come to a stop. It also happens when I'm in a low rev range (when the car 'bounces' in gear while coming to a stop) and every 'bounce' it makes the same clicking noise. This one is not intermittent and happens every time I stop or go over slight bumps slowly or am low in the rev range. There are multiple things this sounds like it could be, maybe a suspension or brake issue, but even possible an issue between the gearbox and maybe the drive shaft? The car has always made these noises (only when shifting gears in low revs) but have gotten progressively worse (stopping, bouncing in low revs, and shifting in low revs) as I've owned the car the past 5 months. The worst has been the last 2 weeks.

All these noises are driving me nuts and no mechanic I take it to can seem to figure it out. I'm sick of dealing with these useless mechanics and it would be awesome if one of you guys could help me out as I am not a mechanic. As I said a case of beer is in it for whoever can tell me what the noises are, if they are detrimental to the health of my s15 and the cost of repairs roughly. I will come to you.

Thanks again everyone.