What's new

Turbo noises.

Reaction score
Country
I noticed I can hear my turbo whistle/whine, cruising at 30 or full throttle. I realise this can mean a boost leak or something but is it as clear cut as a system in perfect condition = no whistle at all & one with a problem = whistle?.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
No, shouldn't make that sound. It's either a leak or a dying turbo.

Reaction score
Country
If I ended up needing a new turbo, what is the best replacement for the original turbo?

Reaction score
Country
A good air filter will let you hear the turbo spool. Has it just recently begun though?

Reaction score
Country
If I ended up needing a new turbo, what is the best replacement for the original turbo?
Depends what other modification you want to do, if you upgrade the turbo at all then you will need to go down the road of big injectors, Z32 maf, mappable ecu.

For stock replacement then Garrett GT2560R (466541-4), or HKS GT-SS.
For upgrade, Garret GT2871R or HKS GT-RS.

A good air filter will let you hear the turbo spool. Has it just recently begun though?
Doesn't sound like a whistle or whine though.

Reaction score
Country
The intake & fmic sound is like a shhhhhhhh/whoosh sort of sound like air whooshing though the IC pipes & on top is a whine/whistle a bit like if you got interference in your radio from the engine or whatever except its the turbo. Its not just started to do this but I read a few threads & people seem to link it with a boost leak & got me wondering if its a sign. But sounds like it might not be the case, I will have to get it tested for leaks or something to make sure.

Whats the life expectancy of the turbo, this is a 1999 car, have many people had to replace theirs on here?

Reaction score
Country
Leaks can sound almost exactly the same as a failing turbo so it isn't necessarily a disaster. My 28r failed but I don't know the history of it, it was installed on an S14 zenki engine in an S13 chassis before I got it :p New one now, did find it annoying that the 2871r was basically the same price as the stock one, but needs all the supporting mods.