What's new

Tein Mono Flex vs Old ver?

S

S1Five

Any fellow silvia owners out there have done any research comparing Tein Flex (old ver) compared to their new ver Tein mono flex?

i have tried reading the tein website and the main difference is a micro valve? which supposedly helps with when you set it to a softer setting it will still feel 'responsive'? like when you set it to a harder setting

has anyone been lucky enough to have tried both and notice any real life difference?

cheers!

Tony

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Topper runs Teins. I expect he'll say something :)

The number of stories I've heard about Tein coilovers leaking would put me off ever considering them... Sure, lots of people are fine, but lots haven't been. When you compare those numbers with those who have bought (much cheaper) Apex Performance coilovers (Megan Racing) and had no issues, it puts it into perspective...

M

MazzyMan

I used to run on Tein Flex coilovers. Are you referring to this? Height adjustable and damping adjustable.

S

S1Five

yes the coilovers

really nicely? never really heard of ppl having problems down here, is it a problem in england? a few of my friends are runnin tein and they are all fine

if anything i have only read about hks ones being not so good unless the top of the range ones

Last edited:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I've read that the Mono Flex dampers are better quality.
Tein UK will from what I've heard stop selling the regular Flex and will sell the Mono Flex instead.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I have Tein HA's, one of them has a very slight leak, and has had for some time now with no issues.

They have 16way damping adjustment and height adjustment (go very low), dont know the spring rate as its rubbed off the spring but they are stiff, prob to much so for road driving as it gets a bit bouncy sometimes, however, for track/drift they feel great. In my sig pic i'm doing about 50mph sideways with little bodyroll. I'd have another set but with a softer spring rate.

Nicely, you may have seen less issues with other coilovers, but are they as travelled as the guys with the leaking Teins?

S

S1Five

i just did a search and read that 7page thread about "sick of tein flex"

to me it seems theres 2 ppl who has had issues with them only?

to me in magazines in hongkong and aus have said good things about tein and i cant find any problem threads on nissansilvia.com, skyline HK, and skyline Aus

EDIT:
i found this on the tein website at the bottom of the link "* All Nuts , Spring Seats and Seat Locks are tightened only for Temporary use.
Please tighten at the specified torque Value."

http://www.tein.co.jp/e/products/flex.html

maybe the guy on SXOC has a bad installer?

Last edited:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
There's lots more stories floating around. Jolly (who posted that thread) sort of summed up the issues. He's got one if the nicest S14as on SXOC. He's definitely not the sort to have a bodge job :no: I believe Jolly's were fitted a very short period before leaking...

When it all come down to it, its your choice, not mine :)

Reaction score
Website
www.gtiroc.com
Country
Ive been running with Tein HA's on the pulsar for almost 5 years now with no problems at all :thumbs: Feel is very very good giving nice direct steering but as topper said, the spring rate could do with being a bit softer!! Fine on tracks and smooth roads but when you get onto the bumpy A and B road or uneven corners then it can get a little sketchy to say the least!!!

Personally, I would have them again but with softer springs :thumbs: May try some Buddy club P1 Coilovers on the S15 tho to be a bit different :wack: :wack:

J.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
All I will say is that there are other makes on the market too. There are very few people who have had the advantage of comparing all of them on the same car with the same setup. Just because quite a few people use them and say they are very good (on an S15 or a completely different car) doesn't mean they are the best. Its just that they are the best that person has tried on the car, which in most cases means they are the only ones they've tried.

Teins MAY be the best. I'm not in a position to know. However, comparing them to the Apex coilovers for problems, there are more known issues with the Teins pro rata. And that's with some 50+ people on the same forum buying the same coilovers over a period of two years. The couple of minor issues where sorted immediately with replacements. Far, far fewer people on SXOC have Teins fitted, yet there is a bad reputation floating around; perhaps not helped by Tein's fairly inflexible approach to warranty. On a set of coilovers costing two and a half times the price of the Apex items, I wouldn't want to hear of any problems...

Here's another one BTW: http://forum.s15oc.com/showthread.php?t=846

S

S1Five

thx for all ur input nicely

some reason it just seems all the problems happen in europe i wonder if the coilovers are just too stiff for their roads

hmm!!!

Reaction score
some reason it just seems all the problems happen in europe i wonder if the coilovers are just too stiff for their roads

hmm!!!
I think you might have hit the nail on the head there... in Aus we have TEINS which have been properly valved for the Australian roads by the TEIN distributer and are getting good wraps.

I myself have a set of TEIN FLEX from Japan, and haven't had any issues with them over the past 4 years. This is the same for the majority of the street/track weapons in the nscc.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
For the price we pay for Tein in the UK, you would hope that the same had been done. However, it looks as though they may not and, somehow, that doesn't at all surprise me... (more about the Euro divisions of the Jap companies that the Jap companies themselves)

S

S1Five

I think you might have hit the nail on the head there... in Aus we have TEINS which have been properly valved for the Australian roads by the TEIN distributer and are getting good wraps.

I myself have a set of TEIN FLEX from Japan, and haven't had any issues with them over the past 4 years. This is the same for the majority of the street/track weapons in the nscc.

w00t as of today my s15 has tein flex installed! so far so good

the handling has just changed. the rear no longer feels floaty and has better grip

need to run em in a bit more and ill start playing with the dampening more =)

right now from soft to hard with 22 clicks available
front im running 12 clicks
rear im running 8 clicks