What's new

Help needed please with Stage 1a / Mapping

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@liamb91
Hi all

I bought my S15 pretty much stock bar Cat back and filter.

Basically my question is if i fit all the parts for stage 1a that i already have (walbro, ebc, elbow, downpipe,decat) and run the car at 1bar without having the car mapped for a month or 2 am i going to have problems on the stock ecu? i.e does the oem ecu have a fuel cut defender?

Thanks

Liam

Reaction score
Country
I don't think it has a fuel cut defender but don't quote me on that. However i wouldn't be running that higher boost with no map because even though you have a the walbro, the injectors still wont be delivering any more fuel because they haven't been told to (no map) so you are running the risk of leaning out the engine which obviously leads to all kinds of damage and wear issues. If i was you I'd personally leave it at 0.7 which I think you said you was running it at anyway and pt up with the extra lag and rough running till you get it mapped. i assume you're also running a FMIC?

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@liamb91
I don't think it has a fuel cut defender but don't quote me on that. However i wouldn't be running that higher boost with no map because even though you have a the walbro, the injectors still wont be delivering any more fuel because they haven't been told to (no map) so you are running the risk of leaning out the engine which obviously leads to all kinds of damage and wear issues. If i was you I'd personally leave it at 0.7 which I think you said you was running it at anyway and pt up with the extra lag and rough running till you get it mapped. i assume you're also running a FMIC?
Ive just rang H-DEV

mods i have

Walbro (not fitted)
Elbow/Downpipe (not fitted)
FMIC (already fitted)
Blitz Nur cat back (fitted)
HKS cone filter (already fitted)
Decat (not fitted)
GReddy Profec OLED (not fitted)

Seems the best thing would be to get all the bits fitted and leave it at stock boost (0.7 at the mo) until i get it mapped properly on dyno so they can check AFR's ect :D

Reaction score
Country
Yeah could push to .8 but I wouldn't hold it on that much boost till its mapped

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Yeah the general consensus is .8-.9 is tops, with all stage 1 bits but without a remap. I wound mine up to .9 before my remap and melted two plugs! So it can be dangerous! (My issue was dodgy boost controller causing a lean spot at 5k)

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
You need a custom remap either by getting a new standalone ecu (very expensive) or getting a daughter board fitted to your existing ecu and then remapped, Nistune is a popular one.

Or use Horsham developments who make there own board, so slightly cheaper, and they fit and remap. (This is what I did)

your nearest is a place in Plymouth who use MBautomtive who can do nistune.

Reaction score
Country
can someone clarify who designed stages of performance upgrades into A B and all that like its a gran turismo option?

Reaction score
Country
Also how much would it cost for all the parts for a stage 1 if you are running a stock spec r and what power could you go from and to?? Sorry to jump on the thread but wondering how much that list at the top of the thread would cost

Jaydej

Reaction score
Country
How much bhp and torque do you get from stage 1a and what's the difference with stage 2?

Cess

Staff member
Instagram Staff
Reaction score
Country
Stage 1a is free flow, de-cat exhaust, front mount intercooler, uprated fuel pump, induction kit and a bar of boost.

Stage 1a is the most that can be extracted from an ordinary turbo, standard Spec R injectors and stock AFM. To go beyond stage 1a, a bigger turbo (something like a GT2871R), bigger injectors (555cc or larger) and a Z32 AFM is needed.

I'm stage 1a. Never had mine rolling roaded, though. So keen to hear what other stage 1a Silvias are putting out.

Last edited:

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Also how much would it cost for all the parts for a stage 1 if you are running a stock spec r and what power could you go from and to?? Sorry to jump on the thread but wondering how much that list at the top of the thread would cost

Well it mostly depends on what quality you go for! And if you buy 2nd hand or not. So that's 2nd hand £1000 to JDM quality price of £3000

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
can someone clarify who designed stages of performance upgrades into A B and all that like its a gran turismo option?
So a company over here who back in the day remapped s14's, developed a chip to insert into the stock ecu when you had there list of correct upgrades. They were a very cheap remap option. They called then stage 1, 1a, 2, 2a 3, 3a and finally 4.
So now people have adopted it for S15's as they are similar BUT the chips don't work on S15 ecu's so people should stop using it. As anything over .9bar with supporting mods it needs a custom remap!

Reaction score
Country
I'm sorry for the noddy questions but this is all very new. Can you take your car straight to a stage 2 build?? I think when I get mine as it will be a daily driver the power of a stage 2 would be plenty enough.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
You can do whatever your wallet will allow. With stage 2 you will need a new clutch for sure. So budget for an uprated clutch £400. Act heavy duty organic will be good option around that price.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
For me this is how i would do stages of modifications for an S15 spec r

Stage 1 - 280-310bhp
Free flow air filter Apexi
Free flow exhaust 3inch from turbo back
Uprated fuel pump walbro
Boost controller to acheive 1.1-1.2 bar boost pressure, electronic needed really.
Front mount intercooler
uprated dump valve
Cooler spark plugs grade 7
Super unleaded fuel
Custom ECU remap

stage 2- 340-360bhpFree flow air filter Apexi
Free flow exhaust 3 inch from turbo back
Uprated fuel pump walbro
Boost controller to acheive 1.3-1.4 bar boost pressure electronic
Front mount intercooler
Tubular manifold and uprated turbo elbow
Nismo 740cc injectors
Z32 Air flow meter
GT2871R turbo
Uprated dump valve
Cooler spark plugs grade 7
Super unleaded fuel
Uprated Clutch/flywheel
Custom ECU remap

Anything else with what people call 1a etc is a waste of time. Just get these bits and starting buying.