Engine Oils

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
There is a lot of speculation and argument over which is the best oil and how frequently should you change it.

The SXOC have been conducting tests on oil analysis for the past year. Samples have been taken of a variety of different oils after changes and send off to the analysis lab which Ford use.

Firstly its near impossible to compare the oils due to different drive cycles and the age of the engines. If you took 5 new engines and used a different oil in each and drove them on the same trip you could compare but we cant

We have tested 6 oils so far

Castrol RS 10w60
Mobil 1 Motorsport 15w50
Silkolene Pro S 10w50
Silkolene Pro s 5w40
Shell Helix 5w40
Texaco Havolene 5w40

The most miles we have tested is 7000 but the majority are between 3-6k.

None of the oils have been pushed hard in terms of oil drain or running conditions beyond the capability of the oil so its hard to tell which one is better or indeed if any are poor. Essentially all the oils still look fresh after this mileage. Now this is the good bit, Typically all the oils tested would be good for at least 20000 miles :eek: :nod:

At 6000 miles all the oils look to have equivilent performance:
Oxidation is stable and in most cases hasnt even increased from the fresh oil.
The Castrol RS suffers from high viscocity loss due to sheer, after 3000 miles its down to a 50 grade and after 4000 miles its bordering on a 40 grade.
A few cars have been overfuelling which will effect the viscocity.

So thats about it really in terms of what oil is great. None really stand out as being superior at such short drain intervals, if you was to take it to 10 or 15k then you might start to see certain oils handling it better than other.

All I will say is if your car is running ok (not overfuelling massively) then 6k changes are an absolute minimum as long as your using a A3:B3 (the ACEA spec) oil and that can be a semi or a fully synth as they all pass the same stringent tests to meet that spec :nod:

Oh, and RS seems a waste of time as it doesnt stay a 60 grade for long
so why not start with a 50 grade that will stay a 50 grade. :nod:
Can I also add a bit about oil coolers...................

A lot of the chemistry in the oil like the friction modifiers don't start doing what they do until the oil gets hot and most won't be functioning until 70C. Ideally you oil needs to be at least 100C to be functioning fully. 120-140C is not a problem for a good quality oil

So people trying to keep their oil between 80 and 100C - STOP IT
The full test results are available on the SXOC, however, you need to be a paid up member to access them.

Also, these are results based on UK usage.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Anybody knows what temps different types of oils can take?

I'm considering to not install the oil cooler. With my new Greddy oil temp gauge I should be able to see if I need it or not.
But I need some temp info.
The oil I will use is Motul 300V 15W50. It's fully synthetic and ester-based. And the car will only be used during spring and summertime.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
That oil's going to be fine.

Really, the only time an oil cooler's going to be needed is on the track or in very hot weather.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Nicely said:
That oil's going to be fine.

Really, the only time an oil cooler's going to be needed is on the track or in very hot weather.
OK. :thumbs:
But I might take it to the track a couple of times this summer and want to know when to ease of the gas.
And where to set the warning level.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Nicely said:
You can still fit your cooler. You will just need to cover or lag it when its too cold.
Yeah, I've thought of that to.
But as I feel lazy I'm thinking about not fitting it :ghey:

You know how hard it is to do the oil filter change.
Imagine getting a sandwhich plate with 2 huge steel braided lines on it to fit.
I get fuzzy just thinking about it :eek:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Know how you feel. Still got to fit my filter relocation kit :rolleyes: Main problem is that I've got no flat places to do an oil change anymore... :(

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I know how you feel, i have a stack of boxes waiting to be fitted.

Will do it over the winter :nod:

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
hehe Iam lucky I got a good mate thats got a work shop with a ramp to sort things out.... :wave: