What's new

Bovs; or lack thereof

Reaction score
Country
My fake SSQV that my car came with is making my car run terrible and gives massive after fires on run off. A real one or maybe a decent turbosmart one will probably fix all my woes BUT for now, I'm thinking no bov might be better than a terrible one. Does anyone have any ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE of compressor surge actually ruining any components? I'm running less than stock boost at the moment.

@spoonman no. I'm not putting a stock bov back in and recirc-ing it.

Searching the interwebs, and this forum tells me that at such low boost it should be fine. But I just wanted to make sure there's no one that can definitely tell me they had an issue with it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
It will be fine without a valve, but really you should recirc it, it will run nicer.

Reaction score
Country
I read in the useful links section iirc te article about removing the stock bov and if you're running under 1 bar it should be ok and not bend any blades etc

Reaction score
Country
It will be fine without a valve, but really you should recirc it, it will run nicer.
I have an aftermarket fmic and don't want to go to the effort of recirc-ing into it. I like the pisht but don't like afterfires so it's atmospheric or nothing

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
You don't recirc into the FMIC, you recirc from the intercooler piping, hot or cold side, into the intake trunking after the Air flow meter! But before the turbo inlet.
And it does run alot better and once you increase the boost it still makes the turbo chatter!

Reaction score
Country
You don't recirc into the FMIC, you recirc from the intercooler piping, hot or cold side, into the intake trunking after the Air flow meter! But before the turbo inlet.
And it does run alot better and once you increase the boost it still makes the turbo chatter!
I know. I just don't want to mess up the engine bay. I'm going for a minimal look. I hate having pipes all over the show. Eventually I'll be running mafless so recirc would be pointless

Reaction score
Country
All I want to know really is that I'm not going to blow the turbo. All signs point to no [at low boost] so it seems like it might be time for my fake SSQV to acquaint itself with the rubbish bin

Reaction score
Country
All I want to know really is that I'm not going to blow the turbo. All signs point to no [at low boost] so it seems like it might be time for my fake SSQV to acquaint itself with the rubbish bin
I recently took my stock recirc out and "pigeon'd" the car, as it were. Seems to run OK to be honest, boost isn't quite as smooth in ramping up as it was with the recirc, but it still hits stock max boost at the same speed and boosts the same. Haven't noticed any turbo wear yet, but I only did this last week.

I like it, it sounds great imho. I'll probably keep it until I can afford to bring the power up on the car, then it will go.

Reaction score
Country
I recently took my stock recirc out and "pigeon'd" the car, as it were. Seems to run OK to be honest, boost isn't quite as smooth in ramping up as it was with the recirc, but it still hits stock max boost at the same speed and boosts the same. Haven't noticed any turbo wear yet, but I only did this last week.

I like it, it sounds great imho. I'll probably keep it until I can afford to bring the power up on the car, then it will go.
Good to know. I'd rather not have smooth boost than have it drive terribly between gear shifts so out it goes. Cheers

Reaction score
Country
Greg Gush @ PROTUNER said categorically IT IS destructive, running no bov/pigeon mod. Admittedly, more so the higher the boost you run.

This is without doubt the best setup i have ran to date - a HKS SSQV & Recirc kit. It has notably reduced lag between gears compared with running pigeon mod/vent to atmosphere bov, and you still get all the chatter/bov noise, which i really wasn't expecting.

here is my setup - nothing too intrusive

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Na Dave your bay looks ****!!......ha ha. Looks so perfect! I need that catch can, what make is it again? Also where does the 2nd pipe run to? Back into the intake?

Reaction score
Country
Thanks dude! haha. Yes it goes to the Apex intake pipe. and the Catch Tank is made by Kazama, but i have made the braided lines for it. It neatly mounts to the stalk on the oem fan shroud.

Reaction score
Country
Greg Gush @ PROTUNER said categorically IT IS destructive, running no bov/pigeon mod. Admittedly, more so the higher the boost you run.

This is without doubt the best setup i have ran to date - a HKS SSQV & Recirc kit. It has notably reduced lag between gears compared with running pigeon mod/vent to atmosphere bov, and you still get all the chatter/bov noise, which i really wasn't expecting.

here is my setup - nothing too intrusive
How would a vent to atmosphere be bad for the turbo? All it sees is air.

Anyway, I know recirc would be the best way to go but it's just not viable for me. Not much point in re-circing and then going mafless later and getting rid of all that setup

Reaction score
Country
Re-read my post dude - Where i mentioned "pigeon mod/vent to atmosphere bov", i was simply explaining i saw less lag between gear changes with the recirc setup. A vent to atmosphere of course is not dangerous, but to answer your question of:

I'm thinking no bov might be better than a terrible one. Does anyone have any ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE of compressor surge actually ruining any components?
When i was with Greg Gush @ PROTUNER whilst he was mapping my S15, i asked whether the pigeon mod was destructive to the turbo, and he said - ''Well i went through 3 or 4 turbo's back in the day before i realised it was a bad idea". So on that basis, i would suggest you not run the pigeon mod for an extended period of time.

This is despite lots of people i know who have ran the pigeon mod with no problems, but why go against an expert in the field's advice?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Re-read my post dude - Where i mentioned "pigeon mod/vent to atmosphere bov", i was simply explaining i saw less lag between gear changes with the recirc setup. A vent to atmosphere of course is not dangerous, but to answer your question of:

When i was with Greg Gush @ PROTUNER whilst he was mapping my S15, i asked whether the pigeon mod was destructive to the turbo, and he said - ''Well i went through 3 or 4 turbo's back in the day before i realised it was a bad idea". So on that basis, i would suggest you not run the pigeon mod for an extended period of time.

This is despite lots of people i know who have ran the pigeon mod with no problems, but why go against an expert in the field's advice?
Ah I'm with you. This would only be temporary until I get a [real] decent BOV. I know atmospheric isn't ideal for fuelling but I'm not planning on pushing the limits, this is just an around town daily for now. When he says he went through 3 or 4 though, makes me think he was thrashing them pretty hard, no? I'm not doing this FOR the pigeon, I'm doing this to temporarily get away from afterfires on every shift

we drive these at work:

and they make a pretty good pigeon noise haha.

Reaction score
Country
you cheeky bugger i only just read that................ you right though, running the factory ecu..... RECIRC it with a stock BOV.

My fake SSQV that my car came with is making my car run terrible and gives massive after fires on run off. A real one or maybe a decent turbosmart one will probably fix all my woes BUT for now, I'm thinking no bov might be better than a terrible one. Does anyone have any ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE of compressor surge actually ruining any components? I'm running less than stock boost at the moment.

@spoonman no. I'm not putting a stock bov back in and recirc-ing it.

Searching the interwebs, and this forum tells me that at such low boost it should be fine. But I just wanted to make sure there's no one that can definitely tell me they had an issue with it.