What's new

Well, crap

Reaction score
Country
This is such a hard piece of hardware to describe but here goes:

Firstly, I have gtr32 front brakes. So, yes, this would possibly be better placed in a skyline forum but Meh.

On the front brakes there are two pins to hold the pads in. To hold those pins in place there is a piece of lockwire-ish wire in a specific shape to stop the pins from sliding out. Would a standard piece of lockwire or general wire of a decent enough strength be good enough to thread between the two pins? Finding a replacement wire will be a b****.

Alternatively, does anyone know (other than a wreckers. I'll give them a go when I get a chance) where I might get an actual replacement wire? Nissan dealer said $40nz to import one stupid piece of wire.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
That would do it or small split pins. It's only to stop them coming out

Reaction score
Country
I see they come in a shim kit but it's a bit of a waste to get all that just for one piece

Reaction score
Country
If it's the locking wire I'm thinking of, we had the same problem a couple of years ago with standard S15 front brakes, and discovered the same locking wire from a Toyota Hilux ute fitted perfectly. Since Nissan is like Lego, you may want to check this out.

Reaction score
Country
We use locking wire on helicopters to prevent a hell of a lot of stuff from coming loose, so if it's good enough for that it would definitely suffice to hold a brake pad retaining pin in place!

Reaction score
Country
We use locking wire on helicopters to prevent a hell of a lot of stuff from coming loose, so if it's good enough for that it would definitely suffice to hold a brake pad retaining pin in place!
Yea that's why it was the first thing to come to mind. I'm not a tech trade but I'm in the RNZAF so if I have to I can find a mate to lockwire it. Just might look a bit gash and would mean re-lockwireing every time the pads have to be changed

Reaction score
Country
I ended up using a couple of split pins. Gonna suck trying to find an oem part

Reaction score
Country
The more I think about it the more an R clip sounds like a good idea. Might just get a whole lot and change all the wires as a preventative measure. Cheers everyone.

Reaction score
Country
Can't find any Hilux's without pilfered brakes. Plus the part snapped after wear and tear, whats to say a Hilux's one won't be thrashed and just break too? Will the above one fit since it's brand new?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Can't find any Hilux's without pilfered brakes. Plus the part snapped after wear and tear, whats to say a Hilux's one won't be thrashed and just break too? Will the above one fit since it's brand new?
It's a spring so they are designed to eventually break with wear and tear, and if you go to a wreckers you should have no issue getting some (I got 4 when I got mine). My logic is if it works use it, when (and if) it fails go get another one (remember NZ is full of Hiluxes so it's not like there is going to be a shortage of parts). Mine went in 2 years ago and have not failed yet. Nissan quoted me something like $60.00 per clip at the time.

Reaction score
Country
It's a spring so they are designed to eventually break with wear and tear.
I would highly dispute this statement. Why would Nissan design a part to snap after a while? A part that is integral to holding the brake pads in?

The clip isn't even under any load so there's reason it should snap after a decent amount of time. it's just a retaining pin in a certain shape

Reaction score
Country
I would highly dispute this statement. Why would Nissan design a part to snap after a while? A part that is integral to holding the brake pads in? The clip isn't even under any load so there's reason it should snap after a decent amount of time. it's just a retaining pin in a certain shape
Dispute all you like. Anything that flexes is eventually going to fail, and these spring clips do fail - so your "why would Nissan design a part to snap after a while" comment is covered by SH*T HAPPENS . The fact of the matter is they DO snap every now and then, and they are also easily replaced. Nissan probably don't even make them, they likely brought them in and used them with the understanding they were designed for a certain lifespan, like every other part used. Remember any S15 is now at least 12 years old as a minimum, things do (and are) wearing out now. I give up with this topic, have fun sorting your clips.

Reaction score
Country
Chill bro. It's a simple question; will this part fit? Sweeping generalisations on Nissan's manufacturing process are no help here