What's new

Crunchy second gear

Jaydej

Reaction score
Country
Hey people my second gear feels abit crunchy and the rest seems fairly smooth any idea of what it could be?

how to fix?

Reaction score
Country
syncro is worn from too much 1st - 2nd and 3rd to 2nd hard fast gear changes.

New syncro 60GBP = box strip drown, shafts stripped down to get to syncros, rebuild = 500-1000GBP if not more........... this is why gear boxes suck, and S15 6MT are gay due to not being that common.

You can soften the blow of the metal meshing by droping your oil and putting in something like redline heavy weight shock proof (red gue) as its really thick but it wont fix the problem just minimize it

Jaydej

Reaction score
Country
Sounds definitely like second gear syncro has worn, gear box overhaul is the only option..
yeah thats alright its isnt bad at the moment so i should be ok for a while seeing as i only drive it a small amount

Reaction score
Country
And double-clutch :) not only is it fun but I'm pretty sure it's easier on the synchros. I have to double clutch 4 to 3 because of the crunch

Reaction score
Country
year most people tolerated it until you can no longer select the gear, which ultimately is going to end up with the same outcome, strip and rebuild...