What's new

E Fan Rotation

Nickichi

Reaction score
Website
forum.s15oc.com
Country
Hi

Found out yesterday on the hottest day so far that when I installed the electrical fans before Christmas, I hadn't checked them properly (just stuck my hand behind the fan to feel air flow) to make sure they were both sucking air into the engine bay.

One fan is pushing air from the engine side through the rad to outside while the other is sucking from outside to the engine. I know the wiring is correct on both but I had to replace a fan before installing it due to damage while in storage so I guess this is how it got mixed up.

Felt the air movement from the outside side of the rad when stationary and guessing that would explain the massive oh sh*t when i saw my temp gauge raising towards the H on the stock dash gauge because it was effectively short-circuiting the rad by pushing the hot air from the rad by one fan into the path of the cooler air being sucked in from outside by the other fan while i was in traffic / moving slowly.

Can I just swap the polarity around on the fan or do i need to swap the blades too, not at home at the moment to hard to check the instructions assuming i even have them still for the Apex performance fans.

If i need to swap the blades im gonna have to pull the lot (fans, cowling, rad) out of the car to fix and was wondering if i should seal the edges of the cowling and rad with 300'C sealant while I'm at it to make it more airtight and force more air to be drawn through the radiator.

Any help would be appreciated. im hoping that's the only reason it overheated and nothing else is hiding in the background atm

Last edited: