What's new

Valves - SR20DET

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Hi Guys,

I'm getting valve bounce, so need to change the valve springs and retainers. I need some help in sources some, and not sure if you can get uprated ones? Also as the head it off I might as well look at a cams, but not sure if its worth it as I am happy with the power it has now..

Anyone on here changed there valves, got any advise please?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Don't see much point in upgrading the valves unless yours are damaged. Just get them reground and lapped in. While your there replace the valve stem oil seals as well. For springs have a look on frsport :)

if you're happy with the power don't bother with cams either imo.

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
also valve stems oil seals? If you have time Chris could you have a look on frsport and just pick the bits I'll need please? really haven't got a clue what I need..

Reaction score
Country
Those are the springs I have. A lot of people don't rate the bc stuff that highly and prefer tomei or hks items instead. If you change the cams you'll have to factor in new rockers as well.

If I get time later I'll have a look and post some links up, sure someone else will post up in the meantime though :)

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Like you said I don't think upgrading the cam is worth it, I'm happy with the power. If I go any bigger I'll need to start looking at gearbox upgrades as well, then mapping etc.. it will all get out of hand money wise pretty quickly.

I just want the valve bounce fixing really. If you've got them BC springs that's good enough for me.

Cheers

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
I've been doing some digging all day and I've got two options so far.

http://www.frsport.com/BC-Valve-Springs---Retainer-Kit-SR20DET_p_15564.html
or
https://www.mazworx.com/product/cyl.../supertech/sr20det-dual-valve-spring-kit-95lb

Brain Cower I can get for about £190 and it would be a lottery if I get hit with import tax

Mazworx kit I can get for £299 all in delivered.

Now is the Mazworx worth the extra, I'm not looking to chase big power so not sure its for the extra?

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I'm going supertech on mine as I am getting a really good package deal , getting their valves, springs , retainers, guides, seals the lot supposed to be top quality gear .

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
I don't want to ask home much all that will be :eek: I know its good stuff, but not sure its worth the extra for where my engine is at..

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I don't know how much it is as I am getting a package with rods, pistons , bearings , studs the lot but yeah probably isn't cheap ha ha

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
What does valve bounce sound/feel like on an sr? How did it get diagnosed?

Id be surprised if the valve springs had gone week!

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I wouldn't be that surprised ,I saw a picture the other day where a full set of oem springs had snapped clean in half!

Apparently age related failure happens quite commonly on sr's more often than not when people upgrade their cams

Last edited:

S15AK

Reaction score
Country
Yeah its just wear and tear on the engine. When it got mapped over a year ago now it was picked up then, but at the time I didn't really know what it was. It mapped fine and I didn't noticed it for a while after. I thought the problem was spark related at first, as it felt like a stutter from the plugs, but its more of a bog down feeling. It only occurs when I launch the car hard from a standing start, but over time it will get worse.

I've also been told that poorly designed manifolds can cause vibrations in the engine. It's to do with the shock pulses that are created with each stroke of the engine these pulses travel down the manifold help spin the turbo, some times they can get confused with poor design manifolds and travel back up to the head and exhaust valves causing them to open slightly hence valve bounce type issues.

Reaction score
Country
I'm going supertech on mine as I am getting a really good package deal , getting their valves, springs , retainers, guides, seals the lot supposed to be top quality gear .
that supertech stuff is for sale here in NZ, im curious to find out the quality....

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
My mechanic swears by it , has their stuff on his 2jz g35 drift car and his rb26 more door r34 too , its also what mazworx use on their engines so I would think they are going to be pretty damn good! Should be getting my bits next month so will post plenty of pics up ;)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
The supertech springs they use are available in 4 different strengths iirc including a single valve spring rather than dual if you preferred. I'm going for the 95lb dual with my tomei cams as thats what have been recommended to me