What's new

Spec R front calipers on a Spec S

Reaction score
Well. I considering upgrading the front calipers on my Spec S to Spec R/Kings S14 twin piston calipers. Couple of questions I have about it:

As far as I'm aware they are a direct bolt on job to a Spec S. Am I right in saying that?

I know the pads are completely different but the only difference between the discs in the thickness. Spec S is 22mm and Turbo model is 30mm. So what I'm wondering is can I keep my 22mm discs and use them with the turbo calipers? Will the pads still contact with the discs when they are nearly worn down to the last, or will the pistons stop extending and not make up the 8mm difference and basically not stop the car? I'd like to keep these discs as they're only a few months old and are drilled and grooved.

Last question, will the non turbo master cylinder be strong enough for the twin piston calipers or will it need to be upgraded?

I dunno am I making sense with the second question but ye might get me. Thanks

Reaction score
Country
I have s14 turbo brakes on my spec s. Its bolt on but you'll need to get new discs as well as pads! Also the brake lines need to be longer than spec s ones so you'll need the turbo s14 ones too or bradied lines.. Only other mod is the heat sheild needs to be bent back slightly.. The bolts on the s14 calipers are longer too so make sure you get them too. The brake master cylinder is fine.. Makes a nice differnce but nothing too drastic!

Reaction score
Cheers for that. I might leave it off for another while so and get more use out of the discs and pads I have on it as they're only 6 months old. Ill change the fluid for the moment and that should improve them slightly.
Youre certain that the thinner discs won't work with the turbo calipers?

Reaction score
Country
Ye they definitely won't work.. You'd have a spongy pedal with poor braking because the pistons in the caliper would nearly be at there full length of travel, if that makes sense..
If your discs are newish id just hold out for a while, maybe get the few bits ya need have them all ready to go in the mean time.

Reaction score
Ya that's what I was thinking would happen only i couldn't expain it :wack:. I reckon I'll start building up the bits and wait out a while.
It'll be around €200 in total I'd say so would you say it was worth the money to upgrade?

Reaction score
Country
I had an s14 breaking at the time so had the calipers and discs off that just had to buy the braided lines and new pads, cost me €60. I think it was worth it, it has improved the braking effort not that I really needed it.. Looks cool too!