What's new

First mods advice

Jaydej

Reaction score
Country
cheers for the advice guys, ill take on all the info you have given me on board and go from there

Jaydej

Reaction score
Country
ive spoken to japspeed and they do not do a cat back for s15 as so many people have complained about them not fitting correct, anyone have someone who is selling a 3" system or where i can get one from?

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Have a look on jap performance parts they have a couple of 2nd hand exhausts on there atm the s14 exhaust fits just sticks out a little further a load on fleabay if you search for the 14

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
:annoyed:............................................... lol-d

Theres a a difference between a good cheap part an expensive good part and a crap cheap part. If you buy the right items they will work perfectly off the shelf. Not everyone can justify the cost of tig welding equipment etc for a part that most won't change again.

Jaydej

Reaction score
Country
Theres a a difference between a good cheap part an expensive good part and a crap cheap part. If you buy the right items they will work perfectly off the shelf. Not everyone can justify the cost of tig welding equipment etc for a part that most won't change again.
I agree with you completely

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
make sure the lid is locked this time :p

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Yeah been real busy with work and a home reno.. but I am back to sort you guys out!

Reaction score
Country
For what it's worth I'd also avoid Japspeed and the other ebay stuff, it's a load of toilet! Buy cheap, buy twice! You can get decent 2nd hard parts from the likes of Garage-D for very little money so why bother with the cheap knock off stuff?

If you want to improve the car, start with suspension and brakes. They'll work with any other mods you decide to do. Obviously, you can't tell the kids down at the local drive thru that you've "mod'd da exhaust an ting an got a millions xtra powaz!" For that I'd start with the exhaust/filter. It'll give a few more horses and sound good. Plus (if you get a decent one) it wont need replacing and it'll last for ages.

Reaction score
Country
I think it depends on how much money you want to spend on performance vs appearance, and who will be doing the work on the car. If you want to do most of the work yourself but havent modified a car before then you should first learn how to maintain the car and buy the necessary tools. A guy who does his own injector and fuel pump upgrade doesnt pay for a shop to change his oil, unless he wants to maintain service history. You live near London? which is pretty cold so thats a plus.

In my opinion, changing the exhaust and filter will not give you noticeable gains. It will make the car sound powerful, particularly a pod filter as the stock box is designed to cancel noise from the compressor. Only a re-tune after these mods will show gains, and a retune requires a Nistune ECU mod or complete ECU replacement like a PowerFC.

Changing the intercooler is only essential for track use or high boost (18+ psi). On the street the heat soak capacity of the wmic(wing mount intercooler) will keep your charged air at a low temperature unless your shredding tyres. At higher speeds the wmic will work much more efficiently. Hot charged air will cause loss of power.

Brakes are ridiculously expensive to upgrade, and again unless you are on a racing track you dont need them.

I would recommend an electronic boost controller first. At around 14 psi and 7000 rpm you will max out the AFM (air flow meter) and then the fuel pump, then injectors, so keep it below 14 psi.

Next I would go coil over suspension and rear subframe align and lock rings to improve handling and eliminate axel tramp (bouncing of the rear wheels when they accidentally spin).

Eventually you get to a point where you can do one off mods such as:
-Turbo back exhaust
-Pod Filter
-Fuel Pump
-Intercooler
-Intercooler

But to get real power improvements you have to do a few things at once:
-PowerFC D-jetro (inc Temp and MAP sensor)
-Injectors
-Fuel Pressure Regulator
...and a tune