What's new

Hoses for Fitting R33 GTR Brembos?

Reaction score
Country
Hi, I picked up a set of brembo calipers (front and rear) removed from an R33 GTR skyline last week.

The rear calipers have a bracket holding a short piece of brake pipe that goes into the caliper body with a brake pipe union, and has another brake pipe union into a block onto the end of the brake hose held by the braket. Photo:

The front calipers have no hoses or pipes attached but they have a similar threaded hole with no faced surface around it, implying that the front calipers also had a piece of brake pipe rather than a hose banjo clamping straight to the caliper.

So does anyone know how I should connect up these calipers to the S15? My car has ASP brake hoses I would rather not replace them. If I do need to get new hoses I would like to know what I should use, whether I should retain the short pieces of brake pipe and whether the fronts need a short piece of pipe too.

Reaction score
Country
Also can anyone recommend any caliper refurb places? I had a quote from one that was over £500.

Reaction score
You will need new brake lines, they are different size bolt connection's on the R33 to S15.On the front get the lines to run to the hard line that comes through the front inner guard(wing) and is held by a hard bracket..On the rears, yes get rid of that rubber line and bracket and have braided lines made up to fit. You will need a Skyline rear hand brake assembly to run the rears. You will need larger caliper bolts and you will need to upgrade your Brake Master Cylinder to something like a Z32(300ZX) other wise you will have a very soft peddle and the brake bias will be way out,favouring the rears

Reaction score
Country
My front calipers came without any hard lines or hoses attached. I googled these calipers and found images of what the OEM ones look like though.

I did pick up the R33 GTR master cylinder at the same time. I think this should be fine, as the weight distribution is very similar and its designed for that particular front and rear caliper piston area.

I thought the caliper bolts are 12mm same as S15? The calipers have come with their bolts from the R33.
I thought the rear knuckles were the same. I picked up rear knuckes for the handbrake components and shield parts.

Do the HEL and Goodrich hoses connect straight to the caliper body (So I would remove the rear hard lines and brackets) or do they connect to the hard lines?

I presume the reason for the original hard lines is to keep the rubber hoses away from the heat so I guess they may not be needed for braided hoses.

Reaction score
Country
Just get aftermarket s15 lines and it will suit

I believe you have to remove the olive inside the caliper and the s15 lines will fit in

I have r33 gtr brembo all round and running nismo s15 lines

Reaction score
Country
When you say olive, do you mean the brake pipe compression fitting on the caliper? I would not like to fit banjo type fittings straight onto there. I will check what type of connection it is on the standard S15 lines to the standard calipers.

I already have aftermarket lines on my S15.

Reaction score
Country
Thought I finally got all the bits assembled and had made time for the rear brake swap, but some final issues. Cannot find hose or adapters enabling me to keep the hard line and bracket on the R33 GTR brembo rear calipers.

I don't want to remove the hard line and connect the hose directly to the caliper.

I want to use an R33 GTR hose that ends in the brass block union that bolts to the bracket and connects to the hard pipe flare fitting. I am not having much luck finding such a hose or an adapter block that a more conventional hose fitting can connect to.

Reaction score
Country
on the rear of my car, i have the 2pot rear brake calipers (same fitment as yours), i dont use the little bracket you are worried about, i have braided lines which are from some car guessing the lines that go on the front of a skyline or silvia??... and i just refitted a bit of hardline which is about 50mm long with two male fittings, this is enough to reach and direct the braided line away from the wheels works perfectly fine and cost me nothing as using old hardline and fittings is simple, a cutting and flaring tool from ebay which cost $15 was all i brought.

Fluffing around trying to find the perfect brought item is long waste of time, all you need when you think about it is a line which reaches from the outlet to the caliper, it has to miss wheels, not be rubber as this will expand. Thats it. how you go about it is not the critical part

drifter

Reaction score
Country
I've got r33 GTR calipers on the back of mine, pretty sure it's just a flexi but I can get a pic tomorrow if it helps?

Reaction score
Country
I've got r33 GTR calipers on the back of mine, pretty sure it's just a flexi but I can get a pic tomorrow if it helps?
I would be interested in a picture for each of the last two posts if easily done? Thanks for the info both of you in any case.

Reaction score
Country
year mines the same, i just use a bit of hardline do direct the flexi line completely out of the way of the wheels

drifter

Reaction score
Country
If you speak to Apex Performance they do Goodridge hoses specifically for this conversion. Just ditch the hard pipe as it's pointless imo :)

Reaction score
Country
I fitted the new APP lines (from rhdjapan) straight into the calipers, it works fine and they were a suitable length. Not sure what I was worried about and wanting to keep the hard lines.

I now have the R33 GTR setup front and rear, seems to brake nicely. Not changed the master Cylinder yet, I have the R33 one, but not sure I need to change it. I am doing a track day in September maybe I will find out there...

Reaction score
Country
assuming you have a Spec R your BM50 is the same as the skyline BM50, the booster will be different. For the best braking get a BM57 and a booster suited to that level of line pressure as in Z32 / Skyline running the 4pot/2pot

Reaction score
Country
assuming you have a Spec R your BM50 is the same as the skyline BM50, the booster will be different. For the best braking get a BM57 and a booster suited to that level of line pressure as in Z32 / Skyline running the 4pot/2pot
To clarify my comment before, I still have the standard S15 spec R brake Bias Valve and Master cylinder fitted in the car. I have purchased an R33 GTR Biasing valve and master cylinder along with the calipers, and that BMC is still sat on a shelf in my garage.

I understand that R33 GTR skylines with the Brembo brakes have the BM57 not BM50. So I guess you are saying I should just swap in the whole BMC from the R33 GTR?

I have heard very logical arguments that single sliding piston vs two pot fixed piston should theoretically (all else being equal) not make any difference to the rear braking force for a given rear brake line pressure, so I am not sure I need to change the BMC at all.