What's new

Turbo elbows...

Reaction score
Country
Couldn't find an answer to this, s15 elbows seem to be few and far between so when going aftermarket which is the correct one to fit out of the s14 and s14a elbows? I understand the 14a elbow is a little longer but that's it.

Reaction score
Country
T28 for a rwd SR20DET.............. thats about all you need to know, I have a dump pipe that suppose to go onto a t28 off a 180sx, a little cutting of the center baffle and its been on there for the last 2 years

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
You've lost me spoonman - How come the elbows are sold as either S14 or S14a specific..? My understanding is there is difference in angle and length between the two types, and the matching downpipe has to be used otherwise the rest of the exhaust becomes malaligned..?

Reaction score
Country
You need to find out what your down pipe is from. If its from an s14 you need an s14 elbow and similarly a 14a down pipe with an 14a elbow As they match up.

Reaction score
Country
Cheers chris, Yeah I knew the two had to be matched up (14-14, 14a-14a), same with the decat being different lengths, my downpipe's an HSD dual for an S15. So I'm just wanting to make sure I definitely have the correct elbow (currently S14) so I don't put too much stress on anything connected to it. There weren't any real issues when fitting, apart from a small gap of maybe 6mm between the decat and tail pipe, it but just want to be 100% sure.

Reaction score
Country
Id be tempted at rining japspeed maybe? They should be able to point you in the right direction or driftworks? Or even apex?
All I know is a s14 cat back sticks out a bit further than a s15 but I dont know if thats due to cat/downpipe length or actually the cat back?

Reaction score
Country
You've lost me spoonman - How come the elbows are sold as either S14 or S14a specific..? My understanding is there is difference in angle and length between the two types, and the matching downpipe has to be used otherwise the rest of the exhaust becomes malaligned..?
In NZ a dump pipe is the bit that comes off the turbo im assuming thats what you brits call a elbow?, a front pipe is the bit after that, the its the cat, then cat back.
What i said was because there are too many people who are afraid to custom anything to suit to many people buy an item and if it does not line up people panic about what they are going to do........... if we all used mild steel and learned how to use a grinder and mig welder things like exhausts would not be a issuse

Reaction score
Country
Cheers chris, Yeah I knew the two had to be matched up (14-14, 14a-14a), same with the decat being different lengths, my downpipe's an HSD dual for an S15. So I'm just wanting to make sure I definitely have the correct elbow (currently S14) so I don't put too much stress on anything connected to it. There weren't any real issues when fitting, apart from a small gap of maybe 6mm between the decat and tail pipe, it but just want to be 100% sure.
if you need to bridge a 6mm gap between the existing flanges are are too afraid to cut and weld, just buy another flange and bolt it in between the two pipes

Reaction score
You've lost me here, the S14 and S14a are the exact same car, just cosmetic changes in the external appearances, bonnet, headlights, rear tail lights. Why would Nissan change the angle of the downpipe when at the time they were only criticised for the look of the car.
Both exhaust from turbo back are exactly the same, you can even put it on an S15 if you cut 10mm out of it in the rear...

Reaction score
Country
I don't know why Nissan would do that but apparently they did, maybe in Aus they are the same? But the elbow/downpipe/decat are sold as 14 / 14a specific over here and do have physical differences. It's cool though I got the answer I was looking for elsewhere.

Reaction score
Honestly, think about it..SR20 CVT Black top, same gearbox, firewall, turbo, manifold, intake and car length.

Here in Australia we only received cars that were manufactured in Japan which where exported to other countries as second hand imports. The only difference we received was that they were detuned to cope with our lower octane fuel at the time.

I would be keen to see a physical comparison between a S14 and series 2

Reaction score
Country
You've lost me here, the S14 and S14a are the exact same car, just cosmetic changes in the external appearances, bonnet, headlights, rear tail lights. Why would Nissan change the angle of the downpipe when at the time they were only criticised for the look of the car.
Both exhaust from turbo back are exactly the same, you can even put it on an S15 if you cut 10mm out of it in the rear...

There are a few more differences than that tbh.

The reason why the elbow and downpipes are different between the two are because the later 14a's had a second cat fitted in the down pipe to help reduce emissions.

just to let you know some other differences are

The S14 has an EGR system and a main cat
The S14a has no EGR and 2 cats (main cat and a pre-cat in the downpipe)(the exception being the S14a Auto which has EGR)
The S14 has a boost sensor on the drivers suspension turret
AFM's have a different plug
The S14 has NATS Alarm and the S14a has NATS2 Alarm
Slam panel has no cut outs for headlights.

Sorry to bore you all with an off topic post but just encase anyones actually interested...

Reaction score
Country
i have an s14 elbow i think, but had to run a biltz s15 specific downpipe as the s14 one i had hit the bottom of the car

Reaction score
Country
right about now, i would like to offer my services to weld you all up a custom exhaust system..... shame about the being on the other side of the world, buy yourself's a welder... honestly learn to mig and tig it will blow you mind...... and if a purchased item does not line up exactly just make it fit.....

also just to keep your guys guessing..... when you run a aftermarket manifold.... what do you think that will do to your exhaust position? keep everything in the exact same place? himmmmm my high end jap made tomei manifold lifted my turbo system by 12mm... so what did i do, got the grinder and welder out and extended the front pipe, (the on before the cat) another 12mm to suit so the entire system was not rubbing on the body, it altered the entire system position that the rear muffler was too close to the rear bumper..... what to do about that.... cut and weld, cut and weld, cut and weld

keep in mind that if you run a stainless exhaust manifold, once red hot your position of everything after will move slightly.....
anymore S14 S14A S15 exhaust specific talk, or oh no what do i do talk, and ill chalk up my pimp slapping hand and bitch slap you

Reaction score
Country
right about now, i would like to offer my services to weld you all up a custom exhaust system..... shame about the being on the other side of the world, buy yourself's a welder... honestly learn to mig and tig it will blow you mind...... and if a purchased item does not line up exactly just make it fit.....

also just to keep your guys guessing..... when you run a aftermarket manifold.... what do you think that will do to your exhaust position? keep everything in the exact same place? himmmmm my high end jap made tomei manifold lifted my turbo system by 12mm... so what did i do, got the grinder and welder out and extended the front pipe, (the on before the cat) another 12mm to suit so the entire system was not rubbing on the body, it altered the entire system position that the rear muffler was too close to the rear bumper..... what to do about that.... cut and weld, cut and weld, cut and weld

keep in mind that if you run a stainless exhaust manifold, once red hot your position of everything after will move slightly.....
anymore S14 S14A S15 exhaust specific talk, or oh no what do i do talk, and ill chalk up my pimp slapping hand and bitch slap you

Very strange as most people in the uk don't have any issues when they buy the right bits in the first place ;)

Reaction score
Country
you missed the whole point parky.... (but yes im a bit of a f-wit at times). But i dont give a flying cows poo about specific models parts, i dont doubt what chris told you about the differences for a second , im trying to convince you to think about custom making parts to fit and exhaust parts are the easiest to work on ... once you start doing it, it opens up a whole new way of doing things, things that limited you by what someone else made are no longer something to worry about.

Didnt mean to piss you off Kiwis are just blunt and not as refined alot of other places in the world, i will real my big head in.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The bottom line is we received S14 and S14a as domestic imports. Both models had EGR and only single cats, no double on the S14a.
Our emission standards were different to Japan and at the time the highest octane rating was 95 so cars had to be tuned to the lower level fuel. Hence why our answers or questions might seem a little off centre to what you guys have been dealing with in the UK.
We never received the S14's as a second hand import as they were sold new here to meet our Australian Design Regulations (ADR's)