What's new

exedy HD clutch kit install

Reaction score
Country
Just yesterday my mechanic installed a exedy heavy duty clutch kit inc lightweight fly wheel, after driving it to my house it starts making clunking noises coming from the gearbox area. Its the noise where you hear when ppl get just married and tie those tin cans underneath the car and it sort of rattles:confused: its usually from first to 2nd then it goes away and coming onto a red light slowing down and putting the clutch in it starts the same noise. Also over bumps and rolling down the hill foot off pedal it feels like somethings bouncing in the gear box area.. ?creating the same rattle clunking noise

Was wondering if any of you guys experienced this? or heard anything similar. My mechanic says its normal for a HD clutch in a s15. But later down the road how will i explain to the person trying to buy my car its normal ? who would believe me..

What you guys think ?
cheers

Reaction score
Country
normal............... a noise like tin cans rattling around.. NO........ yes you do get more nosies from extra transmited vibration with heavy clutches but not tins cans rattling around

describe the noise a little better, as in it happens when your foot is on the clutch and the disk is lifted from the fly or when the car is moving and the clutch is enguaged

Last edited:

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Sounds like the incorrect flywheel or clutch maybe? What part numbers are the parts you've had fitted?

Does it happen on idle? Does it go away when you put your foot on the clutch? Does it judder?

Actually it could easily be the flywheel bolts too long and the flywheel is rattling. Somebody did that not long ago on here when installing a lightweight solid flywheel.

Reaction score
It is probably drive train noise, as you have done away with the dual mass flywheel which dampens that noise. You will notice it on run off as you prepare to down shift...

Reaction score
Country
Did you check if the exedy flywheel is thinner than the dual mass one? To my knowledge exedy does not make a Fly replacement for the dual mass one, but only for the 5 speed single mass, which is thinner than the 6 speed one, so this might be the reason of your strange clunking noises?

Reaction score
Country
Starting off in first and letting the clutch off slowly and taking off the gear stick wobbles and clunking noises start and then bam onto second pedal in a clunk while pressing the clutch. Even in gear going over hills and bumps rough surface there's rattles from somewhere... On top of that started getting a oil leak from somewhere not too major... But no idea where to look. Any ideas where to check.. Ive cleaned the underneath but it comes after a while don't notice it but it sits right back because of the wind blowing it.

K

kingtal0n

did you remember to use a pilot bushing! I dont think they are in there for the 6-speed