What's new

odd noise coming from engine

Reaction score
Country
well under load there is a constant noise coming from the turbo area of the engine..... sort of sounds like when you put your lips together and blow but more of a rattle sound lol i have a bullet exhaust LOUD!! and this noise is louder.

now the car pulls fine, well appears to as i havent driven it far as its due to have its papers this week.
when the car is idling it sounds fine.

so i was thinking it might be turbo gasket... but wishing thats what a uprated turbo sounds like :confused:

so what do you think.

Reaction score
Country
just have a good look around for black sooty looking marks, if the noise is a distinkly broken noise its most likley the exhaust manifold to head gasket, slightly less broken but still broken, gasket from manifold to turbo, a wave type noise, the gasket between the turbo and the dump pipe, otherwise you should of done a boost leak test on the charged side of the turbo, to prevented it blowing out there, but then if its that noticeable on the charged side your car will run like a dog

Reaction score
Most common issue is turbo to exhaust gasket. When you put a bigger exhaust on the subsequent weight and engine movement cause the nuts to loosen from the locking tab washers

Reaction score
Country
Most common issue is turbo to exhaust gasket. When you put a bigger exhaust on the subsequent weight and engine movement cause the nuts to loosen from the locking tab washers
this is very true. I have to tighten mine every now and again, and ive put a 150mm flexi in

Reaction score
I've put a brace from my dump pipe/elbow over to the gearbox bellhousing using one of the spare holes. That has worked well at reducing the exhaust weight on the gasket/nuts

Reaction score
Country
I've put a brace from my dump pipe/elbow over to the gearbox bellhousing using one of the spare holes. That has worked well at reducing the exhaust weight on the gasket/nuts
good idea.... will do that myself i think

Reaction score
Country
Was reading this other day and now mine has started making a whistling sort of noise. Fitted new exhaust bits from turbo to mid pipe so going to have a check for loose nuts. :/

Reaction score
Country
if my car wasnt so god dam low i could get a jack under it and have a look... tax will arrive tomorrow so while its getting under sealed i will take a look... thanks for the advice guys.

Reaction score
Country
tax came today so i took her out for a spin..... god i love this car even stops grannies in their tracks hahaha

anyhoo i only saw 0.4 of boost and im thinking this is due to the above leak, cant get under the car till next week... is it safe to drive in this condition??

Reaction score
Country
yep you were right two bolts were off and one was hanging off.... cant get it sorted till wednesday :furious:

Reaction score
Country
its shocking really.....i brought this car from a dealer in japan it would of taken them no time at all to sort this out.... its like the owner was driving it and though my cars broken im gona go buy another lol

Reaction score
More like the caryard slammed him down on price because they heard the noise but thought they would make money hoping no one would pick up on it...

Reaction score
Country
nah i dont think so... ive had cars come over like this before it really is like they cant be bothered to fix it....

Reaction score
Country
yeh maybe... today my mechanic tightened the the nuts and found the turbo elbow nuts are loose and the manifold shield had one bolt on lol so ive gota take it all out to get to the other bolts that i cant see lol..... im like is the whole engine loose lol

i got aftermarket manifold and im debating weather to install it as everyone goes on about how good the stock one is.... what yall think

Reaction score
It is a good reliable item and combined with the stock heat shield it works well. Aftermarket mani's will improve spool up time but they are prone to cracking. I have a mate who has had his crack 4 times. You will also need to make some heat shielding to protect the ABS module....unless you move it.