What's new

Play in my drive shaft?

Reaction score
Country
Ok had the chance to get under my car the other day was having a look around ond found that when I held the drive shaft I was able to twist it about 10mm or so. Is that normal to have a bit of play or am I going to have to doo somthing about it?😳

Reaction score
Country
The movement was in the driveshaft between the gear box and diff, I had hold of the shaft and rotated it back and forth, rotated about 10 mm?

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
That's the prop shaft. Drive shafts go from the diff to the wheel hubs.
Anyway that much play is almost normal, its the back lash in the diff. You have to have some but its difficult to know how much is ok without seeing it.

Reaction score
Country
if you can move the driveshafts universals at all as in up and down or side to side on say the driveshaft end and the end that bolts up to your diff stays still then you have a stuffed uni and they are a easy fix that you can do yourself.
The rotation movement before it bites is the amount of lash or backlash from the point where your gearbox output shaft bites the gears in the gear box to when the pinion bites the crown wheel in your diff, there is always a little movement which is necessary, if you can hear the diff loading and unloading usually with a noticeable clunk when you put your foot on the gas and bring it off again then you have too much slop in your diff and you will have a huge amount of rotation before loading with your driveshaft. (there is no loading or unloading from the axles they are splines not gears)