What's new

FMIC Options..

Reaction score
Country
Right i'm wanting to get a Front Mount ordered this month however i'm stuck on where to spend my money. I'm not looking to spend a fortune but at the same time i want a good fit with minimal work needed. The Japspeed version has me very interested due to their £199 price tag including delivery but i know people have had problems with the position of the breather pipe (having to cut into the fan cover). I got in touch with Apex Performance and they no longer stock their version; what other options are there with a similar price tag?

Reaction score
Country
Honestly, in that price range you have to expect to have issues with fitment (and the cutting that you had mentioned). I guess that's the trade off for pricing right?

mattyb

Reaction score
Country
First of all do not buy it from japspeed the exact same kits can be bought on ebay for alot less.

Having said that an intercooler is one of the things that you should not cheap out on, a good one, lie hks for example with be made out of better quality aluminium that will conduct heat better and flow alot better.

Reaction score
Country
I used to own a Autobahn88 intercooler for my S14 which fitter reasonably for the money. But the quality is not even close to somethink like an HKS intercooler which I have now.
My HKS Type-S came with a wiring harness to extend the foglight connectors. Brackets to move the washerbottle, piping was painted in metallic silver. and the fitment was 100% spot on.
Mounted really sturdy and doesnt move one bit. With the autobahn it was all much less attention to detail and indeed had to adjust some stuff to get everything to align properly.
Happy I switched to HKS for my S15. not a moment of regret. And im pretty sure they work a lot better too.

Reaction score
Country
I don't mind paying more for a better quality Intercooler; how much extra are the likes of an HKS or Blitz alternative?

I was looking into the Apex Type 1 kit but after ringing them, they no longer stock them.

Reaction score
Brand new GOOD stuff - RHDjapan , nengun

Second hand GOOD stuff - Japanese performance (Facebook) they will get you anything you want! Really good guys!

Reaction score
Country
I've always used RHDJapan and FRSport for JDM goodies.

I run a Greddy FMIC and fitment is spot on. No fogs though.

A selection of front mounts for the S15.. Massive difference in quality and price, so plenty of choice.

http://www.frsport.com/Type-SE-Front-Mount-Intercooler-SR20DET-S14-S15_p_16351.html
http://www.frsport.com/Blitz-13103-LM-Type-CS-Front-Mount-Intercooler-SR20DET-S14-S15_p_15081.html
http://www.frsport.com/24-LS-Intercooler-Kit-PS14-SR20DET-with-S14-Chassis_p_21399.html
http://www.frsport.com/GReddy-12020414-V-SPEC-Intercooler-Kit-S14-S15_p_17164.html
http://www.frsport.com/HKS-13001-AN006-R-Type-Intercooler-Kit-S15_p_1562.html

I will be changing mine though as part of my build and although i'm a JDM whore, i'm likely to get a Plazmaman FMIC (Aus), will need a custom fitting though.

https://www.plazmaman.com/shop_itemdetail.php?itemid=129&cate=62

Reaction score
Country
Are apex really no longer stocking them or are they just out of stock currently? The apex kits are a nice bit of kit so if you can get hold of one then i'd go for that. The more expensive jdm branded fmic's are nice for the fact you have a jdm tyte yo! part but tbh they don't do any better at being an fmic.

Reaction score
Country
Are apex really no longer stocking them or are they just out of stock currently? The apex kits are a nice bit of kit so if you can get hold of one then i'd go for that. The more expensive jdm branded fmic's are nice for the fact you have a jdm tyte yo! part but tbh they don't do any better at being an fmic.
Really? Have you actually compared a cheaper core to a more expensive branded core?

I've seen cheap stuff, and there's no way any of that would find a place on my car. Especially something as important as cooling...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
I'm running the smaller apex type 2 fmic quite happily at close to 400bhp with no issues at all. As long as the welds are good and the core and pipe work fit like they should as the apex kit does where is the issue? I understand getting named brands on things such as injectors, turbos, cams, internals etc but an intercooler?? Why pay extra for essentially the same item just because it has a jdm badge on it which will be hidden on most of these cars anyway?

The technology on fmic isn't exactly advanced after all.

Reaction score
Country
I see what you're saying. On my end, I've seen the cheaper stuff. It took forever to fit, and by "fit" I mean mess and fuss with the piping till it FINALLY somewhat works. The cores that I have seen were nothing to write home about, and in the end for me... I went with "JDM tight yo" parts since it's quality, fits right, and is no real fuss to install.

I'm all for "spending within your means" but if OP is willing to spend a bit more, he can get quality bits from various Japanese manufactures.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I have the autobahn fmic on my car and I didn't have to do much to make that fit. No cutting the chassis nose as you have to with some kits ,the quality was very good . Think they come in under £300 . Also have seen a lot of people running the apex kits with no issues at all.....

Reaction score
Country
If you are running just some basic power upgrades (300-350hp) a cheaper one will do the trick as well.
Had no cooling issues with my Autobahn on my 318bhp s14a. But running more serious power I wouldnt recommend them anymore.

And seeing I've had too many issues with cheap brands, be it fitment, breaking down or just not up for the job. I decided to go with just higher end stuff so I wont be running into as many problems.

Reaction score
Country
I see what you're saying. On my end, I've seen the cheaper stuff. It took forever to fit, and by "fit" I mean mess and fuss with the piping till it FINALLY somewhat works. The cores that I have seen were nothing to write home about, and in the end for me... I went with "JDM tight yo" parts since it's quality, fits right, and is no real fuss to install.

I'm all for "spending within your means" but if OP is willing to spend a bit more, he can get quality bits from various Japanese manufactures.
Agree 100% with you here. I mentioned the apex kit as it fits well bar the same fitting problems as any other fmic (cutting the batt tray and poss chassis legs slightly and moving the horns) the pipes always seem to fit well on both sides and you don't get the problems with things hitting the fan cowl. Shame they don't have stock currently.

In an ideal world I'd have the greddy fmic as I do like genuine jdm parts. As far as quality parts go I bought a koyo rad because of fitment issues with most others :)