What's new

Rattling brake pad pins...

DeviouS15

Reaction score
Country
Hi guys, im just wondering if anyone else here that has the standard spec r front brakes has ever had a problem with the brake pins causing a terrible rattling noise when driving over sudden bumps or drops on the road surface at low speed? I can grab the tops of the brake pads (while the cross spring is still on) and move them and the pins around a couple of mm which reproduces this rattle noise.
The pins dont appear to be worn at all, they are a consistent 6mm thoughout the length of them but the locating holes in the caliper assembly are around 6.8mm, is this normal or should the pins be snug?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated... cheers.

DeviouS15

Reaction score
Country
I dont think there is anything wrong with my pins though, they are showing no sign of wear at all. I guess 6mm is the standard size from the factory.

DeviouS15

Reaction score
Country
Yeah im thinking the clearance in the hole might be fine. I had a look in the electronic service manual and i seem to be missing the 2 parts named L-Type Spacer. Do you know what these parts do exactly?

Reaction score
I would check to see if you have the fine wire tensioner that goes through the holes at the end of the pins on the inside of the caliper. They lock into a small hole in the caliper between the pins. They keep the pins from slipping out.

DeviouS15

Reaction score
Country
Yeah thats definitely there. Do you know what the L-Type Spacers are for? The ESM is a bit vague.

Reaction score
I'll have a look at the stock calipers I have sitting in the garage this weekend. I'll take a oic of them and you can see if there is any differences

DeviouS15

Reaction score
Country
Cheers for adding the pics, mine are exactly the same as yours so i guess there is nothing missing. I made up a couple of temporary new pins using 6mm stainless rod. Just threaded the ends and tightend it up firmly to the caliper.... hey presto.... no more rattling noise. Im going to make up some 1/4" hardened steel pins which will fit in nicely and should eliminate the rattle.
Thanks for your help Auss15!